Living with social anxiety

FISD student learns to manage school with social and intellectual barriers.

While junior Curt Crampton is a student at Centennial High School in order to fit his academic needs, his younger sister, Emma, is a freshman here on campus.

Crampton Family

For many high school students, making friends and completing school work isn’t anything out of the ordinary. But for junior Curt Crampton, these types of situations do not come as naturally. Curt was diagnosed with Aspergers and Bipolar Disorder at age three, along with social anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and depression around the age of 12. On a daily basis, Curt struggles with social and intellectual barriers.

At the end of the day I am still the same loving and caring person.

— Curt Crampton

“It affects my everyday life within my family, friendships, and simple functions,” Curt said in a written reply. “It doesn’t just take a toll on me, but the people around me also.”

Curt used to go to school here, but now attends Centennial High School, in order for his schooling to be more accommodating to his needs

Math acts as a bump in the road for Crampton, but he is able to excel in other educational areas. For example, he scored a 99.9 percent on a higher level thinking assessment.

“My mental illnesses affect my schoolwork in many ways,” Curt said in a written reply. “For one, I am still in algebra one as a junior. The way my brain functions, math has always been difficult for me.”

Education is not the only factor affected in Crampton’s day to day life.

“I have very few friends because it’s very difficult for me to make friends,” Curt said in a written reply. “I can be very hostile and exhibit violent behaviors, but at the end of the day I am still the same loving and caring person.”

When it comes to family life, hostility is Crampton’s least prevalent character trait.

“His diagnoses have definitely brought us closer because he is willing to open up to me in ways he wouldn’t have if he didn’t have Aspergers or Bipolar Disorder,” mom Diane Crampton said.

He opens up a lot more to us, his Asperger’s makes him very smart, and he is able to show me different perspectives and insight to situations.

— Emma Crampton

His sister, freshman Emma Crampton, wholeheartedly agrees.

“He opens up a lot more to us, his Asperger’s makes him very smart, and he is able to show me different perspectives and insight to situations,” Emma said. “We are also able to bond over common ideals such as stress. ”

But home life is not always easily manageable and normal for the Cramptons.

“The biggest thing is we can’t do a lot of social activities with him in crowded places like restaurants and amusement parks,” Emma said. “I also can’t ask him to drive me around or hangout with my friends because a lot of activities are too over stimulating for him. We have to go out at certain times when we know the location is not too crowded.”

Curt’s initial diagnosis of Aspergers and Bipolar Disorder are what led to his social anxiety, OCD, and depression. Many people say that they have OCD when their papers are not stacked straight or their room clean, but OCD is much more.

“It may be accurate for some people, but to me it is not,” Curt said in a written reply. “OCD is a very serious disorder that severely affects my life. Just because you are organized doesn’t make you OCD.”

Although Curt has his ups and downs, he family believes he is a unique and inspiring individual.
“Generally people view those who are living with cancer or any other major health problems as courageous, but overlook mental illnesses,” Diane said. “I view Curt as one of the most courageous people I know because his diagnosis can be very debilitating and unmanageable at times, but he is just as courageous as anyone else.”