NAHS fuses glass into jewelry for Museum Night

• Over the course of a couple of weeks, NAHS held several glass fusing nights where members used a variety of art supplies to create pieces of jewelry for Museum Night which takes place on Friday, March 1, 2019.

• Students had their choice of a variety of decorative items to use when making their jewelry.

• Taking the lid off some supplies, art teacher Pernie Fallon was inspired to start the project after attending a professional development session.

• Glass fusing involves taking different types of glass and heating them up at a very high temperature so they melt together. This is done by placing the glass into a kiln.

The school’s chapter of the National Art Honor Society has finished its series of glass fusing nights for the jewelry that will be sold at the group’s annual museum night on Friday.

“Glass fusing involves taking different types of glass and heating them up at a very high temperature so they melt together, so they become one piece of glass,” club officer Jessica Komarovsky said. “There are two ways to fuse the glass, full fire which involves the glass to be burning on really high heat and the other one is tact which is less smooth, there are ridges and differences in texture.”

The idea for jewelry making first came to club sponsor Pernie Fallon courtesy of a teacher training session.

“I got the idea when I was at a professional development I went to with Frisco ISD years ago and I really was interested in making glass artwork,” Fallon said. “I used to do it in Art 1 and preAP Art 2 classes and so we had the supplies and I thought what a fun way to raise money because we’ve always broken even on all of our other fundraisers and I’m hoping this one will be a different thing everybody would enjoy donating money for.”

Club president, Sunyoung Yun was excited to see members getting the opportunity to fuse glass and make something beautiful out of it.

“When Ms. Fallon told me I thought it was a wonderful idea,” Yun said. “She told me that other schools have done it for their fundraisers and it was quite successful so I was happy to hear about it. I didn’t know that was an option for us and I just thought it was a great idea. Also, not many people get the opportunity to fuse glass to make pendants, so I thought it would be nice to grant our members the opportunity to try something new.”

NAHS member Divya Senha thinks jewelry making is a unique way to express creativity.

“I thought it was a really fun and unique experience and it’s something I’ve never done before,” junior Divya Sinha said. “And it just gives you a chance to express yourself creatively in a way you may not have thought of doing before.”