District gives new value to grades

Sarah Boutouis

Sophomore Michelle Hong takes notes in AP Physics. This year students will be adapting to a new system of grades, with daily grades no longer being used.

Grade averages in Frisco ISD district will be calculated using a new process that no longer includes daily grades. Students will now only have two types of assessments contributing to their grades, with major grades having a weight of 60 percent and minor grades being weighted 40 percent.

It’s a change that’s been several years in the making.

“We have been researching and developing a plan for two years as a secondary grading committee on making the transition from a six-week marking period to nine-week marking period,” Frisco ISD Managing Director of Secondary Schools said in a district news release

“After getting input from a variety of stakeholders in Frisco ISD, the group felt strongly that making this move would have a positive impact on teaching and learning.”

History teacher Emily Griffin welcomes the change, believing it is in the best interest for students’ learning.

“I really like the change, because I think it’s more focused on instead just notes, and so many grades, it really gives the grades more meaning,” Griffin said. “It really focuses on whether you’ve mastered it or not, which is the purpose, so hopefully it gets rid of busy work. I think it’ll help students with understanding how important it is to remediate and focus on what they don’t know, in preparation for their major grade, because that’s the mastery, so then they can be more proactive on the front end.”

However, sophomore Aleeza Hussain isn’t sure if the new grading system will be the best thing for students.

“I think the elimination of daily grades will really be hard for some students because daily grades will help students bring their grades up and provide them for a little extra support,” Hussain said. “I like that when we had daily grades I wouldn’t have to stress over bringing my grade up one point because daily grades would help with that, but now that we only have major and minor grades, one bad grade could really affect your overall grade.”