Freshman flies towards pilot’s license with the Civil Air Patrol

provided by Akash Pradeep

Freshman Akash Pradeep sits in the cockpit of an aircraft operated by the Civil Air Patrol. Pradeep fell in love with flying as a scout in Virginia.

He’s not waiting for a traffic light to turn green, or having to sit behind a line of cars in the process. 

He’s not having to worry about the steering wheel or using his blinker either. 

Instead, Akash is thinking about things such as pitch, roll, and the rudder, while being given the chance to see an up close look at the clouds. 

For most students, the idea of taking their drivers license test can be stressful and a lot of pressure. But freshman Akash Pradeep, is already moving towards his pilot’s license, flying planes and training as a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol.

It’s a lot different looking down from up above. I got the hang of it, and my instructor told me at the end of my flight that I was a natural.

— freshman Akash Pradeep

“At first, it’s a bit intimidating,” Akash said. “After a while, you start enjoying it though. It’s a lot different looking down from up above. I got the hang of it, and my instructor told me at the end of my flight that I was a natural.”

Akash may be looking into a career in aviation, but hasn’t made his mind up entirely. Right now, he is just focusing on practicing.

“The last time I flew was in Virginia, so before I moved to Texas,” Akash said. “It was at a private airport, and I was flying a Cessna 172. It isn’t a commercial aircraft, but it is a private plane. I’m hoping to fly again.”

A big supporter throughout Akash’s entire journey has been his dad, Pradeep. After attending an event with his son, he began to realize how elaborate the Civil Air Patrol program was.

“When Akash had just crossed over from being a cub scout to a scout in Virginia, the troop got a flyer inviting scouts to participate in a CAP organized rocket modeling event,” Pradeep said via email. “At that event, we learnt more about the program. The core values that CAP inculcates are integrity, volunteer service, excellence, and respect. Each of these core values are all are equally important things to be taught.”

Akash, like his dad, was inspired by the discipline and efficiency the cadets and senior members displayed. After attending a few meetings, he eventually signed up to become an official member.

Starting in Virginia, Akash quickly became promoted to the second rank (out of sixteen) in the cadet program, Airman. After relocating to a Texas squadron in McKinney, he moved up to rank six, Cadet Master Sergeant

“The number of people in the group depends on how the squadron gets its message across, how efficient it is, how organized it is, and the leadership. If the Senior NCOs and officers aren’t good, then the squadron isn’t good,” Akash said. “In all, the requirements to promote become exponentially harder. They don’t put too much on you though, because they understand that you’re in high school or middle school.”

Service begins with a person having a desire to share something they’re good at.

— CAP Director of Cadet Programs Curt LaFond

Director of Cadet Programs, Curt LaFond, said a big part of CAP is that members are willing to volunteer and commit to doing service for people.

Service begins with a person having a desire to share something they’re good at,” LaFond said, via email. “Young people are citizens in a democracy. Therefore, they need to be active members of their community. People often speak of young people as ‘the future,’ and that’s true, but they are also the present.”

The cadet program also offers many scholarships. 

“Even before graduating high school, we have scholarships,” LaFond said. “We have special funding that transforms our very best cadets into licensed pilots. Each ‘Cadet Wings’ scholarship represents a $12,000 to $15,000 investment in an aspiring aviator’s future.”

For someone wanting to serve their community, Akash believes that the Civil Air Patrol would be a great program to join.

“It’s simple, you just need to be able to have fun and learn everyday to join,” Akash said. “That’s pretty much it. If looking to learn more, and increase your knowledge and do something fun and hang out with people who share the same interests as you, CAP would be a great start. Do something to not just be a typical teenager. Be something that’s bright. Be something that’s greater than you.”