Catching deals on Cyber Monday

Screenshot from Amazon

Since its debut in 2005, Cyber Monday now has 60% of millennials shopping online. However, this can mean students shopping during classes and possible scams.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

Shopping online is becoming the preferred choice for most young adults 60 percent of millennials doing their shopping online leading Cyber Monday to possibly outpacing Black Friday.

“Shopping online is a lot easier, and you get to look at the store holistically, rather than having to find things scattered in a store,” junior Ana Cuen said. “I guess it can be more fun to go in store, but you don’t even have to pay for shipping. You would have to drive to the store, and it can be anxious because of all the people, and for me that’s not fun.” 

The appeal to many people of Cyber Monday is it’s convenience, but digital learning coach Clayton Pope takes extra precautions for online purchases. 

“I would never put my actual credit card on [the websites], I have a debit account just for online shopping,” Pope said. “I put only the amount of money that I want to use for that purchase on that card first, and then I enter that into the website, so that if someone steals that information from that website their not able to steal any money because that card has none.”

Even with some security concerns, Pope sees online shopping as the easiest way to catch the holiday deals. 

“I do Cyber Monday because I do almost all my shopping online,” Pope said. “With online stuff, you avoid the crowds, and most places now have free shipping or almost free shipping in like two or three days, so it’s kind of a new way for me to shop.”

However, with Cyber Monday falling on a school day, there can be some time management conflicts. 

“I’ve bought a few things during class, but it was only because I didn’t want it to sell out,” Cuen said. “I really wanted to buy it, but I didn’t want it to interfere with my academic activities.”

The ease of clicking a button, and things arriving at your doorstep can be very appealing to students in their busy lives, but according to sophomore Dylan Humphrey, it’s important to focus on the responsibilities of the school day. 

“A lot of people could be shopping for items instead of paying attention in class, but people should be paying attention,” Humphrey said. “We should be learning not shopping, but It’s definitely better because you don’t have to worry about fighting for items with other people.”