Former Redhawks athletes stick to their routine in quarantine

• Class of 2018, graduate Carrie Fish runs for Texas A&M University. She is using her time at home to prepare for cross country season in August.

• Class of 2019, graduate Nissi Kabongo is on the track team at Stephen F. Austin University. Despite COVID-19, Kabongo is still training.

• Class of 2019, graduate Mitchell Miller plays football for Missouri University of Science and Technology. Although Miller is limited when it comes to working out, he is slowly adjusting to the new dynamic at home.

• Class of 2019, graduate Ashley Pennington plays volleyball for Texas A&M Commerce. Pennington set a schedule for herself in order to stay committed to her training.

Not only are stay-at-home orders impacting current Redhawk athletes, it’s also taking a toll on former Redhawks now playing in college. 

For 2019 graduate Mitchell Miller, now a freshman football player at Missouri University of Science and Technology, is limited in what he can do.

I’ve tried to set a schedule for myself so I usually start out and run a mile and then do some agility and body weight exercises

— Ashley Penningston said

“I’m fortunate to have weight lifting equipment at home so I’ve been lifting and doing some running when I can and throwing the football in my backyard and alley working on footwork since I don’t have a ton of space to work with,” Miller said, “My coaches originally weren’t really allowed to give us any workouts or anything but in the last week they’ve started to have team meetings and position meetings through Zoom and have consistently been sending messages through Hudl to keep us motivated. I just hope to come out of this with a physical advantage over my teammates and opponents since I actually have weights that I can use, I’ve tried to set a schedule for myself so I usually start out and run a mile and then do some agility and body weight exercises but I do hope they lift some restrictions so that I can get back to throwing with my teammates and getting work in with them and my coaches.” 

It’s a similar situation for class of 2019 graduate Ashley Penningtoon. Now a freshman volleyball player at Texas A&M Commerce she is adjusting to her new routine. 

My goals for the next months ahead are to stay consistent and get lots of sleep because our season doesn’t start until August again.

— Carrie Fish said

“I’ve tried to set a schedule for myself so I usually start out and run a mile and then do some agility and body weight exercises. I also just go on walks with my dog and do some exercise videos to make it more fun and interesting,” Pennington said. “We have an awesome strength coach at Commerce who sends us modified workouts for indoor workouts or outdoor workouts whatever is best for you. And then I’ll just add some of the things that I personally want to work on onto that. I recently just changed positions from a setter to a libero so I’m trying to catch up on some basic skills and ball control things! I also want to improve my reaction time and speed to help me with defense.” 

Team sports such as volleyball and football require other players, and equipment to help with proper training, but cross country and track athletes are perhaps in a better position due to the individual nature of the sports.

“I am staying active by running 6-10miles everyday and I’m also doing core/weights,” Texas A&M sophomore Carrie Fish said. “My coaches have been sending me weekly outlines of what I’m supposed to be doing, so I have been following their plan. My goals for the next months ahead are to stay consistent and get lots of sleep because our season doesn’t start until August again.”

My goals are to maintain as much of the fitness and work I put in over the last 8 months and continue to progress to a higher level regardless of the current situation

— Nissi Kabongo said

Stephen F. Austin freshman Nissi Kabongo was able to compete in an indoor season, but her entire outdoor season was cut short. Despite this, her coach is keeping her active. 

“During the quarantine I’m still working out on the track (dodging other people on the track of course) and doing weight training from my house,” Kabongo said, “My coach is very much involved (maybe a little too involved) in modifying workouts during this time. He’s made a “weight room” routine for me to do with things around the house along with a planned workout cycle on the track. We talk basically everyday and we’re both on the same page regarding training. my goals are to maintain as much of the fitness and work I put in over the last 8 months and continue to progress to a higher level regardless of the current situation.”