An old style gets a new medium

AP Drawing students experiment with yupo paper

In AP Drawing, an experiment with yupo paper allows students to erase the watercolor from the paper using water.

Reilly Martens

Messy, watery, and uncontrollable come to mind when art students first attempt to use watercolor paints. Art teacher Pernie Fallon aims to make it more enjoyable for students by having them use a unique type of medium called yupo paper. The synthetic paper is stain-resistant, waterproof, and quite strong. One paint streak can be erased like marker on a whiteboard with water and a bit of paper towel.

That’s what’s really fun about art, it’s so casual and you can just go with the flow.

— Elysia Hung

“We’re drawing people and figures using watercolor and yupo paper,” junior Nirjana Save said. “Traditional watercolors are on watercolor paper, but yupo paper is really different and very smooth. It’s pretty cool.”

Some students prefer this type of medium to others as it lets them more easily express their creative ideas clearly.

“I like this project more than other watercolor projects,” junior Caleb Chalker said. “This paper makes it easier to control the watercolor.”

Painting in general can be either very relaxing or quite stressful to some, so the added efficiency of a paper which allows the ability to change a portrait so quickly is that much more appreciable.

“With painting there’s no set structure,” senior Elysia Hung said. “So if you make an accident you can just work it into your art like a whole new design. That’s what’s really fun about art, it’s so casual and you can just go with the flow.”