District realignment to incorporate all FISD

All Frisco high schools to be included in District 13-5A

Boys basketball will welcome new competition in the newly alligned district including Reedy High School.

Boys’ basketball will welcome new competition in the newly alligned district including Reedy High School.

Frisco ISD will have its own UIL district starting in the 2016-2017 season after the UIL announced its district realignment Monday.

Starting with the football season in August, District 13-5A will consist of Liberty, Reedy, Wakeland, Centennial, Lone Star, Independence, Heritage, and Frisco, creating the first all Frisco ISD district in history.

The new district also ensures that four Frisco schools will be represented in the playoffs.

— head football coach Chris Burtch

“We’re happy to see all our high schools with varsity team programs land in the same district,” Frisco Athletic Director David Kuykendall said on the Frisco ISD website. “This alignment maintains our intra-District rivalries and is great news for fans, student-athletes and coaches as teams will stay close to home for most games.”

The past two seasons, the Frisco schools were all together, but with The Colony and Little Elm, creating some extra travel for the schools. With the all Frisco district, the schools will rotate between playing at The Star, Toyota Stadium, and Memorial Stadium in the next football season.

“It’s great to be competing against all Frisco schools,” head football coach Chris Burtch said via text. “It will be tough competition each week against some of the best athletes in the metroplex. The new district also ensures that four Frisco schools will be represented in the playoffs. I am excited and looking forward to the challenge.”

It allows all our schools to build competitive programs and play at the same level.

— FISD Athletic Director David Kuykendall

The all Frisco district is something coaches are looking forward to.

“I like it because, I think Frisco is a really good city with great athletes,” head coach Marcus Eckert said. “Back in the old days, there were city championships, so it kinda creates that same feel, except it’s still in district. The downfall is that kids won’t get out of the bubble, the city, and won’t compete against other teams until tournaments and post-season play. Transportation and highlighting the city’s players are all positives though.”

The opportunity for players in the district will be at an all-time high, which is the overall goal for the district.

“It also speaks to our philosophy here in Frisco ISD – of building smaller high schools and keeping enrollment figures consistent across the District,” Kuykendall said. “It allows all our schools to build competitive programs and play at the same level. Most importantly, it gives more students the opportunity to participate in athletics and benefit from all the experiences, relationships and lessons that come along with playing on a team.”

What are your thoughts on the all-Frisco UIL district announced Monday?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.