Pictured%3A+Krishna+Rajagopal+%28center%29+practicing+sight-reading+with+two+section+members.+Vowels%2C+consonants%2C+diction%2C+and+dynamics+are+in+the+back+of+every+choir+students+mind+as+UIL+contest+approaches.+Beginning+Tuesday%2C+all+three+choirs+on+campus+will+sing+their+hearts+out+in+the+state-wide+competition.+

Rachel Kim

Pictured: Krishna Rajagopal (center) practicing sight-reading with two section members. Vowels, consonants, diction, and dynamics are in the back of every choir student’s mind as UIL contest approaches. Beginning Tuesday, all three choirs on campus will sing their hearts out in the state-wide competition.

Krishna Rajgopal

Name: Krishna Rajgopal

Grade: 9th

Voice Part: Bass

Years in Choir: 4 years

Future College: Penn State

Wingspan: What made you want to join choir?

Rajgopal: “I’ve always been into singing since a young age through my family, and so I just decided to continue it through school. My older sister is in choir at Liberty also, so knowing the ropes is kind of helpful.”

Wingspan: What was the biggest thing that surprised you when you joined choir?

Rajgopal: “At least for high school choir, it’s a lot more rigorous, it’s a lot more in-depth, and the music is a lot better. But just being with your friends and singing has always been what I’ve enjoyed most through middle school and high school.”

Wingspan: What are some things you are working on in class right now?

Rajgopal: “Right now we’re working on our Christmas songs, carols, and a few other songs.”

Wingspan: I heard you made the TMEA All-Region Choir this year, congratulations, what was your take on that?

Rajgopal: “It was kind of hard but at the same time very worth it. The concert was beautiful and I enjoyed it a lot. [The audition process] was very intimidating but it went a lot simpler. I knew I put the practice in, I was just running [the music] over and over again and singing.”

Wingspan: How would you say your sight reading skills prepared you for the audition?

Rajgopal: “Sight reading is probably one of my faulty parts with being in choir. I’m not the best at sight reading yet.”

Wingspan: Are you looking forward to the Winter Extravaganza?

Rajgopal: “Yes, absolutely. This is my first year being in one. We had one at [my middle school] Vandeventer and being able to join in on the high school experience just seems very exciting. This year I am singing two different voice parts, tenor and bass, in a few songs, so it’s been sort of interesting.”

Wingspan: What’s it like having to switch two voice parts?
Rajgopal: “It’s kind of difficult because some days I’ll be practicing as a Baritone or a Tenor 2, and it will hurt my throat because I’m not used to singing that high. Whenever I’m doing Baritone or Bass it’s the easiest since that’s where my voice kind of lays.”

Wingspan: How was middle school choir compared to high school choir?

Rajgopal: “I feel like middle school choir is a lot more playful, in a certain sense, and it’s kind of more serious now. You’re singing to a larger audience, and there’s more people in the choir. You definitely have got to focus on it more.”

Wingspan: If someone was wanting to join choir coming into high school, with no prior experience, what would be your advice?

Rajgopal: “I know a lot of people that joined choir 8th grade year, and the good thing about choir is that everyone is at different levels. I don’t think it’s that difficult to catch up just as long as you’re committed. Make sure you’re doing it because you want to do it, not just for the elective credit.”

WINGSPAN • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in