Flower fundraising finishes Friday for Winter Extravaganza

poinsettia

Magnus Manske

Students from theatre, band, orchestra, choir, drill team, dance, and color guard are participating in the annual poinsettia fundraiser to raise money for the Winter Extravaganza Dec. 15-16. The deadline to buy a poinsettia from Nortex Wholesale Nursery in Wylie is Friday, Oct. 29.

Aarya Oswal, Staff Reporter

The deadline to buy a poinsettia from Nortex Wholesale Nursery in Wylie is Friday with all proceeds going to the Liberty Orchestra Booster Club to help offset the costs of this year’s Winter Extravaganza Dec. 15-16. 

“We are just selling poinsettias to the fine arts department and also gave the faculty an option to buy them to help decorate the stage for the Winter Extravaganza,” orchestra director Julie Blackstock said. “This is not a fundraiser, as it is only to help settle the costs for the event.”

Students from theatre, band, orchestra, choir, drill team, dance, and color guard are participating, and the funds raised from selling poinsettias will help with decorating costs. 

“The whole purpose is to make the stage look pretty, since a lot of people are going to be performing over a period of two nights,” junior Riya Kumar said. “Basically, family members can buy [the flowers] and even write a note on it for when they are being delivered on the second night to the performers.”

Families are given the option when purchasing the poinsettias to write a personal note on the gift as the flowers will be delivered to the recipient on the first day of the concert.

“I think it’s for a good cause, especially since we’re hosting this after two years and all the proceeds go to Liberty orchestra to help the students and program,” junior Neha Lakka said. “I persuaded my parents to buy one, and I think this event will

really help support the orchestra program.”