Valentine’s Day flower sale ends Wednesday

The last day to buy carnations from Key Club is Wednesday with flowers being delivered Friday. All proceeds go to the Unicef Project Eliminate for neonatal tetanus shots .

Ariela Rodrigues

Ariela Rodrigues, Guest Contributor

Every year many of the school’s clubs organize events for Valentine’s Day either for self fundraising or for raising money for charities. For Key Club that means selling flowers for delivery on Friday to support Unicef Project Eliminate for neonatal tetanus shots .

“We always give out candy grams to all the teachers just as a thank you from Key Club because community,” Key Club’s sponsor Julie Rutherford said. “We are going to be selling the carnations for $2 through the 10th and we as a group, on Thursday afternoon tie all the carnations and notes to each other and put them into organization by hall. Then Friday, second period, I’m gonna allow my seniors to help deliver them.”

It’s a program that often gets club members to think about why they are are doing what they do.

“It’s just a really exciting time of year because it’s really sweet to see people buying carnations for each other whether they are friends or in a relationship and it’s great to see that all the money is going towards a good cause,” Aggarwal said. “I think it really makes people think about something bigger than just the school and themselves and helping people outside just our community.”

Club president Eileen Bau is happy that students will give, but also get something back.

“We’re really excited because not only does it raise funds and it’s a cool thing to do, you can send flowers to your friends but all the funds go to buying tetanus vaccines for mothers and children in third world countries,” Bau said. “It’s a fun event where you get to show your appreciation for people. It doesn’t have to be romantically, everyone loves getting flowers. I think this event is a good idea because it kind of lets you give a little but you also get something back, so besides just blindly donating to charity you actually get to make someone else’s day. Additionally for Key Club it really is a big project for that a lot of members get involved with to help them see how the can impact the community beyond just Liberty High School.”