Mexican-American Studies arrives on campus

Aden

Mexican-American studies is an ethnic studies class now available to students on campus. The class provides students with the opportunity to learn more about underrepresented groups in the United States by teaching about Mexican-American culture and history.

Mexican-American Studies has joined the course catalog for the 2022-2023 school year. The class allows students the opportunity to not only learn the history and culture of Mexican-Americans, but also gain more insight on the United States as a whole.

It is always a good idea to step outside our comfort zone and be willing to be more understanding about a culture different than our own,

— Mexican-American Studies teacher Yuridiana Franco

“Mexican-American Studies is an elective history course that focuses on the history and contributions of Mexican-Americans throughout American history,” Mexican-American Studies teacher Yuridiana Franco said. “It is important because it is an opportunity to gain a more profound understanding of underrepresented groups in the United States.”

Franco also believes the class provides students a crucial opportunity to step outside of their comfort zone and be willing to learn of a culture different from their own.

“We will have lots of fun and will even take a field trip this year. It is always a good idea to step outside our comfort zone and be willing to be more understanding about a culture different than our own.” Franco said. “Doing so will not only expand our knowledge about other cultures, but also address misconceptions and stereotypes that can be damaging and hurtful.”

Looking forward to the different activities the students will be able to experience over the period of the course, senior Ana Toro feels this class is important in order for students to realize how the United States has changed because of these Mexican-Americans.

“This class has been really interesting so far,” Toro said. “We are learning about how we perceive things and how Mexicans have been perceived in the U.S. for years. This is important because, when you think about it, this country would not be where it is without Mexican-American immigrants. They played such a huge role in this country’s development and they are rarely ever talked about.”

For senior Ruby Ramirez, the class is informative and a great way for those who share a similar background and culture to gather in a safe environment.

“Even though it’s early in the school year, Mexican-American studies has already become one of my favorite classes, to be honest,” Ramirez said. “It has provided a comfortable environment where I can talk to other Latinos and other people of color about our shared experiences in the U.S. Mrs. Franco teaches the class as she’s Mexican-American herself, so being able to have a teacher who understands the unique experiences and content has been amazing.”

It has provided a comfortable environment where I can talk to other Latinos and other people of color about our shared experiences in the U.S.,

— senior Ruby Ramirez

Additionally, Ramirez feels that the class provides a greater insight into Mexican-American history that she hasn’t seen in other classes on campus.

“In our usual history classes at school we don’t really get an in-depth look or understanding of certain events in history, so it’s really nice to have a class that is fully focused on informing students about these Latino experiences,” Ramirez said. “I think it’s vital that everyone take this class – especially those of Latin American ancestry – not just for the education, but for the experience.”