Neha Ramachandran

Victoria Tong is one of the new assistant principals on campus, and has worked her way from teaching kindergarten to administration level positions. Her first visit was on High-Five Friday, and after that, she was convinced that a position on campus would be a good choice for her.

Victoria Tong

October 25, 2022

New assistant principal, Victoria Tong, enjoys seeing children grow and learn with each new day. Attending New Mexico State University and Dallas Baptist University and graduating with a degree in journalism, she did not always know that she wanted to work in education; She only discovered her love for working with kids when she got a job working at a kindergarten center and began her pursuit of a career in education, working in educator and administrator positions in different schools. 

Wingspan: What about this job made you want to pursue it? 

Tong: “My kids go to elementary school down the road and I just knew this was a good district so I applied to Frisco. And I got an interview with this team over here and I was real hesitant because I’d never been in high school before. So, they invited me to come and they were like come and look at our campus and come and meet some of our kids. So I did. Whenever I did that, it was definitely a yes for me- coming and meeting people.”

Wingspan: Did you like something about the high school environment? 

Tong: “It was the day where everyone was giving high fives. I think it was on High-Five Friday or something like that. And so I just could tell the kids were happy to be here, the people were happy to be here to work and it seemed like a great environment to thrive in.” 

I just could tell the kids were happy to be here, the people were happy to be here to work and it seemed like a great environment to thrive in,

— assistant principal Victoria Tong

Wingspan: Can you tell me about how you came to work in the education field? What college did you go to? 

Tong: “I went to New Mexico State University, and then my masters I went to Dallas Baptist University. And…so those are the two that I went to, but I didn’t get a degree in education; I got a degree in Journalism, so kind of like what you’re doing. So, whenever I got my first job teaching I was supposed to be the journalism teacher, but then they didn’t have enough money to fund that, so they just asked ‘well what other things are you certified in?’ And I said ‘I love to read books!’ so they put me in the English classroom.” 

Wingspan: When did you know you wanted to work in the education field?

Tong: “Right after college there was like a time when I had a bunch of jobs but they just weren’t very meaningful. I started working at this kindergarten center with two year olds and three year olds. I was with that age group and I was like oh my gosh this job is hard, but it’s so fulfilling to see them grow up. So that’s when I thought I probably would be a good teacher.” 

Wingspan: What do you find most rewarding about your job? 

Tong: “I just like leaving here knowing that I’ve accomplished something, so I try to do that once a day. Whether it’s giving a kid a hug because they seemed like they were sad, or helping a parent with an issue with their child. So just one thing throughout the day that I really try to do so I can leave here saying I really did do something to change and make the world better.” 

I just like leaving here knowing that I’ve accomplished something, so I try to do that once a day,

— assistant principal Victoria Tong

Wingspan: What do you do as an assistant principal? 

Tong: “Lots of things. I check the doors to make sure everyone’s safe and secure inside the school. I help teachers whenever they’re working together- with lesson plans. I go and observe those same teachers to just see if the lesson plan that we had was working or not- help grow teachers. I deal with parents all day with whatever it is that they might do. And then with students too- I welcome anyone into my office to have a conversation.” 

Wingspan: What’s one piece of advice you would give about high school?

Tong: “For me I loved my high school when I was in high school, and I loved it because I was involved in a lot of things, so I would say be involved in as many things as you can because you don’t get very many opportunities to do that other than high school- just try things out even if you don’t think you’re gonna be good at them- and then you might like it later.” 

Wingspan: Did you take part in any clubs or something? 

Tong: “I was in the journalism club which is why I graduated with my journalism degree. I ran track, I did cheer, I was on the dance team. I was in Key Club and National Honor Society. So, I did try a lot of different things and just… see what I was good at.”  

Wingspan: So, if you could describe yourself in three words what would those three words be? 

Tong: “I think I would be described as peppy, like I have a lot of characteristics like that. And the second one is I work hard; So I’m a hard worker. And the third one is…I am personable.”

Wingspan: What is one quote or motto that you live by?

Tong: “Practice like living in the moment because I’m not very good at it. I always am thinking about tomorrow and what to do next and things like that, so I’m trying to practice that.”