Maya Silberman

Meet the candidates: Board of Trustees Place 4

April 25, 2023

The Frisco ISD Board of Trustees election is on May 6, with Place 4 and Place 5 up for election. Two candidates, Reed Bond and incumbent Dynette Davis, are running for Place 4.

provided by Reed Bond

Reed Bond is one of two candidates running for Place 4 on the Board of Trustees.

Reed Bond

Wingspan: The State Legislature is considering bills that would require the Texas Education Agency to develop curriculum for use in Texas public schools. Frisco ISD has a history of writing its own curriculum with local teacher participation. Should the state mandate use of the state curriculum? Why?

Bond: “The state currently mandates curriculum in the form of Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), so this is not unprecedented. That said, I think our local curriculum development within the expected framework of the TEKS has served our students well and reduced our entanglement with large publishing companies. I would prefer more local control to state control.”

Wingspan: The State Legislature is considering creating Education Savings Accounts that would provide families with taxpayer-supported funds that could be used to offset private school tuition. What are your thoughts on this?

Bond: “I am not a fan of this idea in general, but state legislation is largely beyond our control. I believe we should continuously refine and improve our educational product to compete for families to keep their kids in our public schools and offset the potential negative impact.”

Wingspan: To date, Frisco ISD has maintained a “Student Opportunity” model that keeps high school populations in the 5A UIL classification (generally targeting 2,100 students per high school). As we continue to grow, should FISD continue this effort? Why?

Bond: “The small school model provides opportunities for a higher percentage of our students to excel and succeed in extracurricular programs. Research shows that students involved in extracurricular activities also perform higher academically. I believe this is in the best interests of our students.”

Wingspan: Frisco ISD has a history of engaging in unique public-private partnerships with the city of Frisco yielding shared use of facilities like the Ford Center, Toyota Stadium, Comerica Center, and PGA Frisco. Have these projects lived up to their promise, and should we continue to seek new opportunities? Why?

Bond: “Partnerships with local businesses are often beneficial to the school district in many ways. I believe as long as business interests do not interfere with education priorities, this is okay. However, we must remain vigilant about the financial return on investment when we invest taxpayer dollars into these relationships.”

Wingspan: What is your understanding of Standards Based Grading? Is it having a positive effect on student learning of the Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills? Is there evidence to support your assertion?

Bond: “I believe Standards Based Grading can be a good intervention tool for struggling students. While the concept ensures that students master specific standards, it weakens the students’ personal development with regard to punctuality, personal accountability, personal responsibility, and exam preparation. I think applying the philosophy to the entire student population does more harm than good. Evidence includes many teachers who left the district for this reason, among others, and that many graduates and parents of graduates have expressed a lack of readiness for the students’ freshman year of college.”

Wingspan: School library books have garnered attention over the past year both nationally and locally. Frisco ISD has removed and reclassified books in our school libraries and gives parents access to their student’s checkout history. What are your thoughts on this issue?

Bond: “Parents have a right to know what resources are being provided to their students by the school district. When content is clearly not age-appropriate, measures should be taken to review the content and consider next steps. This should apply to a very small minority of books, but there is a very concerning trend of more illicit content being sold in large package deals with vendors. Ignoring this trend would be a mistake.”

Wingspan: Property taxes and school funding are big topics of discussion in Austin right now. What do you think of the current system of public school funding?

Bond: “Frisco ISD has a fairly low tax rate compared to surrounding districts, partly due to the fact that we are a property-wealthy district and can therefore raise more funds. The Recapture system helps distribute funds from property-wealthy districts to districts in need. My understanding is that this amount is small and is protected from excessive redistribution by a concept called gold pennies. I believe we should strive to keep the tax rate as low as possible while balancing the budget and exercising smart fiscal responsibility.”

Wingspan: For some employees, living outside of the district is a choice, but for others, they can’t afford to buy a home in Frisco. What are your thoughts about many of the district’s employees not living in the district? 

Bond: “When I first started teaching in the district this was also true for me. My wife and I saved for a home and were able to move in shortly after. It is true that a great deal of neighborhoods in FISD do not have affordable housing for those earning teacher salaries. Because of this, we must go above and beyond to support our teachers, attract them to our district, and retain them.”

Wingspan: There has been a lot of talk about teacher shortages both nationally and here in Texas. While there can be many reasons for this, one of the common reasons often cited is pay. According to a ranking from the National Education Association, Texas public school teachers made, on average, $57,641 in the 2020-2021 school year which puts Texas at number 28 in the country. What are your thoughts on what Frisco ISD can do to retain its teachers?

Bond: “We must always look for ways to tighten the budget in other areas so that we can pay our teachers as much as possible. Most teachers did not enter the profession to get rich, so their motivation often comes from other places – notably a commitment to public service, a love for kids, and a love for the art of teaching itself. While we pay teachers as much as we can, it is equally important to treat teachers like professionals, honor their autonomy in their classrooms, and provide them with the basic tools they need so that they feel supported and valued. Last year we lost 860 teachers. We can do better.”