Hundreds of students get hands on look at various trades

2nd Annual Trade Fair featured dozens of trade opportunities for students
  • Students mingle in the library for the 2nd Annual Trade Fair that brought more than a dozen businesses and schools to campus.

• Learning how to properly control the flow of oxygen, senior Shruti Bhoyar takes a try at the Collin College table.

• Senior Shruti Bhoyar looks down as she attempts chest compressions at the Collin College table.

• Placing her hands on the chest of the CPR mannequin, senior Shruti Bhoyar presses up and down in a lesson during the 2nd Annual Trade Fair on Friday, Oct. 20.

• Students at the Trade Fair could get hands on experience trying things such as CPR.

• With more than two dozens tables at the 2nd Annual Trade Fair, there was plenty of swag for students to snag.

• Among the many tables on hand at the 2nd Annual Trade Fair was Impact Cuts which was talking to students about how to get into a career of hair styling.

• Students interested in cosmetology could get quick lessons on make-up application at one of several tables at the 2nd Annual Trade Fair.

Students had the opportunity to explore a variety of trades and other non-traditional career opportunities Friday in the library at the annual Trade Fair.

By attending events like this, students are exposed to lots of different areas that they may have never considered before,

— Collin College Nursing representative Amy Wilson

“Attending a trade fair is a great way to see what opportunities are out there,” Collin College Nursing representative Amy Wilson said. “Sometimes, it is hard as a high school student to make a decision as to what you want to do for the rest of your life. By attending events like this, students are exposed to lots of different areas that they may have never considered before.”

Taking place from 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. in the library, several teachers on campus took their classes to the fair. 

“I attended during my English class to explore interesting job opportunities that I could possibly be interested in pursuing in the future, as well as just looking around at the different types of jobs,” sophomore Laura Huang said.

The Trade Fair allowed students to talk to representatives from various businesses, schools, and institutions that offered them opportunities outside of attending college and provided insight into a plethora of unique careers students can pursue.

“[The Trade Fair] has made me more aware of the many types of work in different departments, such as the different paths one can take in the hair, healthcare, and automobile industries,” Huang said.

For sophomore Naya Salamor, the Trade Fair served as a way to interact with professionals in different careers.

“I just talked to a bunch of people,” Salamor said. “I didn’t really see anything I was super interested in, but I did think it was pretty cool.”

The Trade Fair also gave local businesses a chance to recruit students, all the while educating students about the wide variety of opportunities available to them.

I think it’s a great way for students to kinda find their place in the world. I hope students are able to see just like what other opportunities there are, other than college, and see how wide the horizon is,

— Wiggle Butt Academy representative Alexis Middleton

“[Trade Fairs] help get the word out. Not only is this exposing the word to other students, but it’s helping with marketing for the company,” Wiggle Butt Academy representative Alexis Middleton said. 

Nevertheless, the primary purpose of the Trade Fair was to show students all the opportunities available to them and how going to college is just one possible path they can pursue.

“College can be rigorous, college can be stressful, and having a trade can be just as rigorous without the stress,” Middleton said. “I think it’s a great way for students to kinda find their place in the world. I hope students are able to see just like what other opportunities there are, other than college, and see how wide the horizon is.”