From farm to table: FFA students take on raising animals

Students in agriculture education classes on campus have the ability to raise animals at the Agriculture Barn, and several Redhawks have taken part in the opportunity.

I decided to show a pig because I thought it was a fun opportunity for me to do and just something new to try, especially living in Frisco, where we’re in a more urban area,

— Senior Lila Elizondo

Future Farmers of America (FFA) member, junior Haley Johnson has been raising her goat, Estaban, since July 2023 and is preparing for her contest next month.

Although all of the other students on campus are raising a pig, Johnson wanted a different experience.

“I got a goat because all of the other members in our chapter had pigs, and I thought that getting a goat would be a more different and unique experience,” Johnson said. “And I just also generally like goats more than pigs. In my opinion, I think they’re cleaner than the pigs.”

According to the city, only 16 percent of land in Frisco remains undeveloped, with Brinkmann Ranch one of the largest chunks of undeveloped land.

With so little farm and ranch land left in Frisco, FFA President and senior Lila Elizondo wanted to add a farm component to her city life.

“I decided to show a pig because I thought it was a fun opportunity for me to do and just something new to try, especially living in Frisco, where we’re in a more urban area,” Elizondo said. “I think this barn is important because it allows students to still be involved in agriculture while also living in Frisco, where it’s a more city area.”

With any livestock project, it’s important to remember the circle of life and everything on this earth has a purpose,

— FFA Advisor Britney Avant

But the animals being raised and cared for by FFA students aren’t pets, the last showing is the last time students are with their animals.

“At the end of the day, it’s sad giving up my animal,” FFA Officer Logan Victory. “But I mean, I know the only reason I’m raising it is so that it can be processed and used for other reasons.”

It is all part of what FFA is all about according to FFA Advisor Britney Avant.

“With any livestock project, it’s important to remember the circle of life and everything on this earth has a purpose,” Avant said. “My purpose, I feel, is to be a teacher. And our pig’s purpose is to be food for nourishment for our bodies. And so we strive to make sure that all of the students prepare these animals as best they can, treat them as well as they can, and make the best product to go on the plate.”

• According to the city, only 16% of land in Frisco remains undeveloped. One of the largest tracts of undeveloped land is Brinkmann Ranch, where the FFA farm is.

• “I love getting to not only teach my pig how to walk but also have fun with him,” junior Mikaela Turnage said. Turnage will be showing her pig at the Houston Show in March.

• Junior Haley Johnson is preparing for her final showing in Fort Worth. Her goat, Estebon stays at the FISD livestock barn.

• Although students each raise their own animals, they work together when raising their animals. Walking her goat, junior Haley Johnson teaches junior Mikaela Turnage in preparation for her Fort Worth show. Johnson and Turnage are both raising their animals at the livestock barn and have been raising them August.

• Leading her animal, Senior Lila Elizondo guides her pig to walk for her showing in Houston. Elizondo is currently raising two pigs to show in competition. FFA students sometimes use whips to keep their animals walking in a straight line.