• The 2024-25 school year begins Aug. 12
  • Wingspan is on summer break until August

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/9 is varsity football player, sophomore Connor Johnson.
Featured Athlete: Connor Johnson
Neta Even, Guest Contributor

Wingspan: What position do you play in football? Johnson:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

May 17 Daily Update
May 17 Daily Update
Karina Grokhovskaya, WTV Executive Producer • May 17, 2024

WTV's Ryan Shapiro, Karina Grokhovskaya, and Sadie Johnson bring you a few last words

Early release for the last day of school

Friday%2C+the+last+day+of+school%2C+is+the+only+early+release+day+of+the+2023-24+school+year.+Students+will+be+dismissed+at+1%3A00+p.m.+with+seniors+to+return+to+campus+at+2%3A30+p.m.+for+graduation+rehearsal.+
Kathryn Murphy
Friday, the last day of school, is the only early release day of the 2023-24 school year. Students will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. with seniors to return to campus at 2:30 p.m. for graduation rehearsal.

Students will be able to go home early Friday due to early release at 1 p.m. with seniors returning at at 2:45 p.m. for graduation rehearsal in the cafeteria.

“We have half-days due to graduation practice and other graduation ceremonies,” AP Secretary Marilyn Bryant said. “Having half-days allows staff to complete all the procedures to close the school year.”

For several students, AP tests collide with early release, creating mixed feelings about the last day of school.

“I am really excited about the half-day and about leaving school early, but also kind of stressed about my AP exam, which is also on that day,” freshman Michelle Tang.

But for others, early release on the last day of school makes it all the more special.

“I personally love the half-days because we get to start the summer early,” junior Selena Sikkanther said. “It’s a great way to end the school year.”

Having early release also provides students the opportunity to kick off their summer by making plans with friends.

“In the morning, I will have an AP Physics exam, but after that, my friends and I will probably go out and eat lunch and maybe go to a park, which will be super fun,” Tang said.

For other students, going out to eat is the prime way to spend the extra time.

“I’m planning to hang out with friends after!” Sikkanther said. “We’ll probably go get some food and just chill.”

But overall, many students feel that the biggest benefit of early release is getting to spend time doing what they want to do.

“My favorite part of the half-days is that it’s less time at school,” Sikkanther said. “I hate having to be at school when we aren’t really doing anything so half-days let us have more time to spend outside.”