2016 graduate moves to the big leagues

A high school reporter in May, Arman Kafai now covers FC Dallas

FC Dallas won its first trophy in nearly 20 years with its win in the U.S. Open Cup Tuesday night. There covering the game for a soccer blog, 2016 graduate and former Wingspan sports reporter, Arman Kafai.

Arman Kafai

Just a few months after his high school graduation, 2016 graduate and former Wingspan sports editor, Arman Kafai, found himself in the press box for one of the biggest games in FC Dallas history as the team won the US Open Cup Tuesday night, it’s first trophy in nearly 20 years.

Covering professional events, you’re on your own. You have to build connections and go from there.

— 2016 graduate Arman Kafai

For Kafai, it was a huge deal, seeing as though he just started writing for 3rd Degree, an independent FC Dallas soccer blog associated with The Dallas Morning News.

“The atmosphere was amazing,” Kafai said. “I saw so many people there; commissioner Garber, former Dallas Burn players, and lots and lots of fans. The atmosphere was immense, and the fans were the loudest I’ve ever heard the. It was a great experience.”

Although he is continuing sports journalism while studying at UT Dallas, writing in high school is a lot different than covering professional events.

“As a high school journalist they kind of cater you. The staff helps you out and stuff, and it’s easy to get quotes,” Kafai said. “Covering professional events, you’re on your own. You have to build connections and go from there.”

The path to getting the foot in the door is paved with effort and most of it will initially be uncompensated financially

— co-editor of the 3rd Degree soccer blog Peter Welpton

Kafai has been writing for the blog for just a few months, but in that time has gained valuable experience.

“When I first started, I was lost and had no idea what to do,” Kafai said. “Now, with a couple of months under my belt, I have a decent understanding of where to be and what to do, and am closer with the club’s PR staff, which helps a lot in terms of setting up interviews and stuff.”

It wasn’t easy for Kafai to become part of the soccer blog, but now that he’s involved, his editors are glad they have him as a writer.

“It is important for young people wanting to get into media of any kind to understand the path to getting the foot in the door is paved with effort and most of it will initially be uncompensated financially,” co-editor of the 3rd Degree soccer blog Peter Welpton said. “Specific to Arman, he’s just been a solid writer, has good story ideas and has handled himself professionally in the press box. Buzz and I have found him to be very mature for his age and he clearly has goals and is willing to put in the work to achieve them. He’s only recently started with us, but hopeful he’ll grow into covering other teams and give us feature stories about the sport too.”

Transitioning from writing about high school sports to professional sports has taught Kafai a lot more than just how to be a better writer.

“[This experience] has helped me a lot,” Kafai said. “It has made me more responsible for my work, and makes me want to write even better stuff. I have to thank Peter, Buzz, and Dan for helping me out and becoming mentors for me.”

The opportunity that Kafai has been given has furthered his interest in pursuing the sports industry, something he’s wanted to do for a while.

“My goals in the future are to become a front office executive for a sports team,” Kafai said. “Ever since I was young, I knew I wanted to do something in sports. Using this experience, I’m learning the ins and outs of the sports industry, while having fun and watching the game I love.”