• No school Monday (April 24) for students as it is a Professional Development Day for staff

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Pacemaker

Filed under News

Dr. Lyon announces retirement as Frisco ISD superintendent

Search process for his replacement begins Monday

Frisco ISD Superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon announced his retirement effect June 30. The search process for Lyon's replacement  will be discussed at Monday's Board of Trustees meeting.

Henry Youtt

Frisco ISD Superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon announced his retirement effect June 30. The search process for Lyon's replacement will be discussed at Monday's Board of Trustees meeting.

After spending the last four years as superintendent of FISD, Dr. Jeremy Lyon will be retiring from public education on June 30 with the FISD Board of Trustees starting the process for finding a replacement at Monday’s board meeting.  

“After more than three decades in public education, this will be my last school year,” Dr. Lyon said in an article on the FISD website. “I never could have imagined I would end up here with the privilege to lead one of the state’s top performing school systems thanks to the hard work and dedication of the Board, teachers and staff, parents, students and the Frisco community.”

I never could have imagined I would end up here with the privilege to lead one of the state’s top performing school systems,”

— Frisco ISD Superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon

Dr. Lyon began his public education career as a teacher and coach in Gilmer, approximately 130 miles east of Frisco, and will be retiring having left a lasting impact according to Frisco ISD Board of Trustees President Anne McCausland.

“Leading a bold effort to educate and inspire the next generation of leaders is no easy feat, and we were blessed to have Dr. Lyon at the helm,” McCausland said in article on the FISD website. “Even with unsurpassed growth, Dr. Lyon remained resolutely committed to the District’s mission ‘to know every student by name and need’ and maintained its focus on students’ academic success. He will continue to have an impact long after his retirement, and we are extremely grateful for everything Dr. Lyon has done for the school children of Frisco.”

Frisco ISD leaders aren’t the only ones that commented on Lyon’s announcement.

“Handling one of the fastest-growing school districts in the country is no easy task,” Frisco Mayor Maher Maso said in a Dallas Morning News article. “He was the right person at the right time for Frisco ISD.”

Retiring from Frisco ISD isn’t the final chapter in Dr. Lyon’s work career as he has been named the first president of Cooper Youth and plans to remain in Frisco while he leads a national effort to advance preventive health practices for children.

We are proud he is leaving remarkable pathways for continued successes at this great school district,”

— FISD Board of Trustees President Anne McCausland

“I am looking forward to continuing to work closely with the Board, staff and our community right up until the day I retire and my successor begins work,” Dr. Lyon said in the FISD article. “I have full confidence the Board will choose a successor who will build on the district’s strong growth and achievements and provide the next superintendent the same unwavering support so Frisco schools will continue to thrive.”

The school board will meet Monday at 7:30p.m. with one item on the agenda concerning the search process for Dr. Lyon’s successor.

“We’re sad to see Dr. Lyon go, but we are proud he is leaving remarkable pathways for continued successes at this great school district,” McCausland said in the FISD article. “As we plan ahead, we look forward to working together as a Board to gather feedback from educators and staff, families and the community on characteristics desired of our next superintendent.”