• First day of school is August 21

• Wingspan is on summer vacation but check back for occasional updates

Filed under News, Sports Showcase

College football bowl season finds new home in Frisco

Announcing the first college football bowl game to be held in the city, FCD president Dan Hunt, Associate commissioner of AAC Scott Draper, mayor of Frisco Jeff Cheney, and VP ESPN Events Clint Overby (left to right) take turns speaking at a news conference Tuesday Toyota Stadium.

Keegan Williams

Keegan Williams

First the Dallas Cowboys made Frisco their home, and now ESPN Events is doing the same thing bringing the college football bowl season here as the newly named Frisco Bowl at Toyota Stadium was announced Tuesday, with the the first game scheduled for December 20.

Keegan Williams
The Frisco Bowl announced Tuesday will have a tie-in to the American Athletic Conference with an opponent still to be determined. The game will be one of the first of the 2017 bowl season and is scheduled for December 20.

“We are excited to invite two deserving teams to participate in the bowl game on an annual basis and to take in all that Frisco, Texas has to offer,” vice president of ESPN Events Clint Overby said. “From it’s wonderful facilities to the hotels and wonderful entertainment and nightlife opportunities, this place has so much going on so it was really an easy decision to place the bowl game here in Frisco.”

Toyota Stadium is no stranger to hosting big events. The home stadium of FC Dallas and the site of the FCS National Championship, the 20,500 seat stadium has ESPN excited to bring another event to Frisco.

“We brought the FCS national championship here to Frisco, and that really laid the groundwork for us learning how to put on an event of this magnitude,” Frisco mayor Jeff Cheney said. “We’ve learned through the years how to make this an extraordinary experience for all the student athletes in our community, all of the fans that will be visiting the community and really want to make it a world class event.”

ESPN determined that Frisco has all the qualities it was seeking for a new bowl game, making it the 18th bowl game owned and operated by ESPN Events.

Keegan Williams
Renovations on the south end zone of Toyota Stadium which will be home of the new National Soccer Hall of Fame will not be completed in time for December’s Frisco Bowl but will be finished in 2018.

“There’s no better infrastructured place to stage a successful game then what you guys have here in Frisco,” Overby said. “It will be really special and I think we have the opportunity to create a real premiere postseason experience for traveling fans, teams, administrators and we are excited and looking forward to a great opportunity.”

The Frisco Bowl will be a tie-in for the American Athletic Conference (AAC), with an opponent or other conference tie to be determined.

“We obviously have a relationship with the American Athletic Conference,” Overby said. “We are in discussions with multiple options for the game and we’re not quite ready to announce those yet but we do have a lot of options in respect to how this game will get popular.”

The addition of a college football game to Frisco’s growing slate of events has the city on pace for a record amount of visitors.

“On behalf of FC Dallas, my family and Toyota Stadium, we are so excited to host this marquee event here, the Frisco Bowl,” FC Dallas president Dan Hunt said. “We are chasing a total crowd of over 200 million visitors per year and that’s a gigantic credit to the City of Frisco and all of the citizens and the school district.”

1 Comment

One Response to “College football bowl season finds new home in Frisco”

1. Joel Thomas on May 26th, 2017 8:28 pm

It was previously reported that AAC opponent would be SunBelt Conference in 2017 and 2019, a MAC opponent in 2018. I guess that’s no longer the case?

[Reply]

• College football bowl season finds new home in Frisco

Class of 2017 graduates Saturday

CBE deadline Monday

Graduation rehearsal set for Thursday after school

National exam measures Spanish mastery

17 and pregnant

Streaming show showcases sensitive subjects

Former Liberty principal named new FISD superintendent

Protesters spark more media coverage

Abortion protests continue

Growing number of students protest against abortion abolitionists