Sushi now on lunch menu

The sushi includes smoked salmon, carrots, and other ingredients wrapped in sticky rice.

Henry Youtt

Amber Holt, Staff Reporter

Sushi is now a lunch option as the cafeteria will be serving the Japanese-inspired dish every day for $3.75 starting Thursday in the Coffee Shop snack bar.

The cafeteria staff went to different food shows looking for ideas of healthy foods for students and tested the sushi out on another school with success.

“Our child nutrition programs is always looking for new and different things for the kids,” Frisco ISD Culinary Skills Trainer John Soria said. “We will be selling our first batch [Thursday] with smoked salmon and fresh vegetables.”

The cafeteria staff has a designated sushi chef with some of the staff helping with the process.

“We have designated cooks that will be preparing the sushi,” Soria said. “It’s all freshly made in the morning by the chef and will be served.”

The cafeteria staff is excited to introduce a new dish as it tries to satisfy student preferences.

“I think the students will be excited about the new foods at school,” Soria said. “We try to expose everyone to different types of cuisines and different ethnic foods.”