Opinion: mums should be done

Wearing one of the biggest mums on campus this year, senior Hallie Hunter shows off the type that annoys students such as columnist Dea-Mallika Divi.

Brian Higgins

Dea-Mallika Divi, Staff Reporter

Homecoming is here and for years there has been a long tradition of wearing mums. But all traditions have to come to an end at some point especially ones that cause annoyance to everyone around them. This is the case for Homecoming mums.

There is a wide variety of accessories that can be placed on the mum including aggravating bells. They create a ruckus whenever the person moves creating a farm like environment throughout the school.

Mums are always the center of addition wherever they go, especially where they’re not supposed to. The bells are constantly making noises disrupting classes as students turn their attention to the mum rather than teacher.  

I understand why girls like mums. They show that your date actually cares enough to get you something expensive that has accessories for all of the activities you’re involved in. But should a big, feathery and noisy necklace be it? Wouldn’t you prefer he take you to a nice restaurant or bought you cute jewelry? Why must a mum be the only thing thing that shows your date’s interest in you?

They also cost so much money for the guy. Most guys spend at least $100 on them. That is a $100 he could have spent on buying you and himself so many other things. These boys are only high schoolers; most of them don’t even have jobs yet.

So yes, mums are an unnecessary bother. They are loud and cause headaches for everyone around them and are a waste of money. Rather than mums, we could go back to real flowers; they’re cheaper and cause less of a scene.

Dea-Mallika Divi, Assignment Editor

Dea is a senior who has been doing journalism since her freshman year. She loves movies, reading and listening to music. Her favorite book series is...

1 Comment

One Response to “Opinion: mums should be done”

1. David Figueroa on October 27th, 2016 11:37 am

My thoughts exactly.

• Opinion: mums should be done

All Voices Matter: stop the spoilers

• Opinion: mums should be done

Opinion

Real Talk: 4 Day Weekend

• Opinion: mums should be done

Blogs

Destination Health

• Opinion: mums should be done

Opinion

Slow down on the overscheduling

• Opinion: mums should be done

Opinion

Keeping Up with Kanika: fresh air

• Opinion: mums should be done

Testing students progress

• Opinion: mums should be done

Opinion

Real Talk: prom

• Opinion: mums should be done

All Voices Matter: it’s ok to be unsure about the future

• Opinion: mums should be done

Opinion

Checking out Chromebooks would give all students equal access

• Opinion: mums should be done

Keeping Up with Kanika: new experiences

Opinion: mums should be done