• Taylor Swift ticket giveaway: tweet @libertywingspan using #taylorswifttickets

• Campus Club Fair Tuesday

• End of 1st 6 week grading period is Friday

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Filed under Opinion

Opinion: Managing screen time

Teenagers often struggle to juggle homework and hobbies like watching television but it can work writes guest contributor Reem Khan.

Teenagers are always doing something especially in high school. As well as work, many students tend to participate in other activities or use their time to watch shows, movies, or dramas. The excessive time spent in front of a television or computer screen have been blamed for negatively affecting academic performances of students.

Many television shows are airing right now like How To Get Away With Murder, The Flash, Gotham, SuperGirl, Scream Queens and others making it really tempting to binge watch shows rather than focus on your academic activities. These shows include many cliffhangers and interesting plot twists making it hard to not watch episode after episode.

The effect of being consumed by T.V. can affect one’s academic performance severely. Some actions that can be taken to improve performance in school while still enjoying some television are making a schedule, manage time or avoiding screens at all times.   

One way to help fix or manage time in front of a screen is to make a schedule to get homework done first. Try to start with the subjects that are the most relevant on a given day and do the homework or studying for that class and go from there. Once all homework is done, the rest of the time before bed can be spent watching whatever is desired. This process might take some time because the order of activities that works best for one person may not work best for another.

For every activity you do, set a time limit and try your best to stay on track. Be sure to take breaks for food, naps, or exercise. Making a schedule with time limits can really help a person stay focused and be more efficient with their time. The time you previously spent just staring into space can be spent getting ahead on notes, homework, or even studying.

Lastly if all fails and you can not find any way to create a schedule or are unable to manage your time, try to avoid all screens and find a place away from screens and somewhere you can focus. This might help you realize what needs to be fixed with how your time is spent. Hopefully, you do not need to go to this extent to reduce your time watching show, movies, or random videos, but do whatever is needed to make sure school work isn’t neglected.