• The 2024-25 school year begins Aug. 12
  • Wingspan is on summer break until August

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/9 is varsity football player, sophomore Connor Johnson.
Featured Athlete: Connor Johnson
Neta Even, Guest Contributor

Wingspan: What position do you play in football? Johnson:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

May 17 Daily Update
May 17 Daily Update
Karina Grokhovskaya, WTV Executive Producer • May 17, 2024

WTV's Ryan Shapiro, Karina Grokhovskaya, and Sadie Johnson bring you a few last words

Senior goodbye: Rin Ryu

Joining+Wingspan+as+a+sophomore%2C+Rin+Ryu+became+a+managing+editor+as+a+junior+and+an+editor-in-chief+as+a+senior.+
Haley Ward
Joining Wingspan as a sophomore, Rin Ryu became a managing editor as a junior and an editor-in-chief as a senior.

I’ve never liked change. I’m pretty sure I haven’t completely acknowledged the fact that I’ve turned 18, so coming to terms with the fact that I’ll be graduating high school in a few days might take a while, but time stops for no one.

Since I was little, I’ve always felt a sense of comfort in having a plan. Having something to lean on was reassuring; joining Wingspan was never on the big plan for my high school career. The plan was to be in band to fulfill my extracurricular activity slot, but after quitting my freshman year, I was left without any sort of direction until I was told about Wingspan.

I didn’t go through the typical motions of graduating from Journalism 1 to Wingspan. Instead, one of the editors at the time recommended that I join. Even though Wingspan was never on my high school timeline, joining was one of the best choices I’ve made these past four years.

I’m so grateful for the sophomore me who decided to jump on that opportunity and join Wingspan. My time in Wingspan has taught me so much more than how to write. Of course, I learned how to become a journalist, but I’ve learned so many valuable lessons that I know I’ll use for years to come. I stepped foot into Liberty as an introverted, timid student, and thanks to Wingspan, I’ll graduate with more confidence.  

I’ve never been good with spoken words. I’ve found that the things I want to say never come out how I want them. I thought this obstacle would have me living in the shadows, under the leadership of people more well-spoken and confident than me. Thankfully, Wingspan taught me otherwise; it was through journalism that I learned how to communicate, and I realized that through my writing, I could be a voice in my community.

In just a few months, I’ll be tackling one of the biggest changes of my life: college. I’ll be continuing my studies at the University of Texas at Austin studying government. In just a few days, I’ll say my final goodbyes to high school, pack up my things, and move to a new place I’ll call home. It’s bittersweet knowing that I’ll be leaving the place I’ve lived in for the past 18 years, but I’m excited for the new opportunities to come.

It’s thanks to Wingspan that I’ve found fulfillment in advocacy and policy work. In middle school, the plan was to become a doctor, a plan that I was never excited about. I wasn’t drawn to the career but wasn’t opposed to it either. It was like one of those puzzle pieces that sort of fit in the bigger picture if you force it enough. I’m grateful that Wingspan has completely gotten rid of this rigid plan I had created because it has given me the courage to forge my own path in something I am passionate about.

Before signing off for the last time, I’d like to thank my amazing fellow editor-in-chiefs, Maya Silberman and Haley Ward. Thank you to managing editors Faith Brocke, Sarayu Bongale, Christine Han, and WTV executive producer Karina Gorkhovskaya for the countless hours and hard work.

Of course, thank you to Mr. Higgins for the last three years and for giving me guidance on how to become a better writer, listener, and communicator. Thank you for creating a space where I could express myself freely and for giving me the freedom to explore my passions through journalism.

I don’t think I’ll ever come to terms with the fact that I’ll no longer be a writer for Wingspan, but it gives me comfort knowing that I will always be able to rely on the connections I’ve made with this community in C102. 

Thank you for everything, and best of luck to next year’s Wingspan staff.

View Comments (1)