• 8th grade Redhawk Rally is Jan. 29 6-8 p.m.

• Campus Course Fair is Jan. 25 from 12:10 - 2:35 p.m.

Sincerely Sydney: focus on the person not the label

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish offers her perspective on various issues.

At some point in life, everyone experiences some form of rejection, taunting, isolation, or ridicule. However, people with disabilities can face this on a daily basis. In this day and age where sexism and racism are not condoned, people should not be treating others with disabilities or disorders any different.

While the school does a good job at making sure everyone is treated fairly, there are still some social barriers, including negative stereotypes and not treating them as equals. Many can feel uncomfortable due to a lack of knowledge on the subject and can act as though someone with a disability needs constant help.

It is important to understand people with disabilities often have the ability to do the same things as everyone else. They should not be “talked down” to or assumed they don’t know how to engage in conversation. I have seen some different treatment when it comes to people with disabilities, including someone changing the tone they talk in or the subjects they talk about. Like anyone else, this can cause a person to feel like an outcast and can have an impact on their development as a student.

People should focus less on the label of the person, and more on the actual person. This extends to students with mental disorders as well. If someone you know has been diagnosed with a mental illness, it should not change the way they are treated. They are not violent, or easily excitable and should not be tip-toed around.

This generation is inclined to judge someone based on outer appearances, but a mental or physical disability does not make anyone less of a person. Everyone should be granted access to the same social, educational and work opportunities. We never know what someone is going through, so instead of labelling someone we should be more focused on trying to understand and help that person.

Sincerely,

Sydney