• Summer vacation June 4-August 15

• First day of school is Thursday, August 16

Sincerely Sydney: strict parenting style can backfire

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish offers her perspective on various issues.

Every high schooler has different rules and boundaries set by their parents. A majority of the time parents set those limits to keep their children safe and protect them, however at what point do those limitations end up having the opposite effects?

A common misconception is that parents who raise their child using strict discipline methods are more likely to behave well, however this is not always the case.

The authoritarian parenting style is the one that can lead many children to have low self esteem and self worth. It can also cause a lack of trust in people, developing self guilt and shame, stress, and learning that verbal and physical force is powerful.

As someone with a parent who trusts and provides enough freedom, while still giving boundaries, it gives me the ability to be able to to my mom with any problem and not fear  punishment. However, friends who have strict parents often lie about where they’re going and who they’re with, because they have been sheltered and feel they can’t be honest with their parents.

Without being granted the independence to do things and trying to meet unreasonable expectations, many teens end up rebelling and are more likely to act disrespectfully. In addition, a parent who places such high demands without proper reasoning to back up their decisions can cause a child to become overly dependent on the parents. This can lead a child to feel they will always need their parents guidance and approval, which makes situations like going away to college harder on the child.

Parents who provide constant rules can lack the nurture a child needs and this can lead to many long term effects for the child, especially when they go off on their own. A combination of guidelines, while providing a loving environment creates successful outcomes.

Sincerely,

Sydney

Sydney Gish, Staff Reporter
Sydney Gish is a junior and in her 2nd year of Wingspan. She is a member of FCCLA, Key Club, NAHS, the Raven and Best Buddies. In her free time she is either volunteering for Hope’s Door or the Red Cross and enjoys painting, reading and writing. Contact Sydney: [email protected]