• Freshman Flight School Wednesday from 9 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

• First day of school is August 21

• Wingspan is on summer vacation but check back for occasional updates

Filed under Campus Life

Projects dominate last week of school

With+no+final+exams+in+Frisco+ISD%2C+many+classes+on+campus+have+been+finishing+the+year+off+with+projects.+Pictured+above%2C+freshman+Alexis+Coltom+finishes+her+work+in+class.+
With no final exams in Frisco ISD, many classes on campus have been finishing the year off with projects. Pictured above, freshman Alexis Coltom finishes her work in class.

Sydney Gish

Sydney Gish

Frisco ISD eliminated final exams a few years ago which often leaves the last few weeks of school filled with projects as teacher look for ways to assess the knowledge learned throughout the school year.

The end of the year projects are a good way for students to showcase what they have been learning all year,”

— pre-AP geometry teacher Jennifer Harrison

“The end of the year projects are a good way for students to showcase what they have been learning all year,” pre-AP geometry teacher Jennifer Harrison said. “Not all students are good test takers and the projects are a way for students to use their creativity and still prove what they have learned by incorporating their own unique talents.”

Many students such as sophomore Tanya Tirumala say she is relieved to have projects towards the end of the year rather than tests or quizzes.

“I am happy that teachers assigning end of the year projects instead of tests and quizzes because it gives students less stress and not to mention a relief,” Tirumala said. “It’s the end of the year and all students want to do is relax and count down the days until summer.”

It’s the end of the year and all students want to do is relax and count down the days until summer,”

— sophomore Tanya Tirumala

Others students including sophomore Jazmin Soto-Zuniga say there shouldn’t be assigned projects toward the end of the year.

“I don’t agree with end of the year projects because I believe it’s not important especially when it either has nothing to do with the class and it puts unnecessary pressure on students,” Soto-Zuniga said. “I don’t like how teachers tries to cram projects the last few school days we have left and rush us to finish. Many students have other important things to do such as remaining tests everyone has to study for. And the load of the all the projects that the teachers assign at the same time is even worse than tests and quizzes.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Projects dominate last week of school”

1. Hui Wang on June 1st, 2017 7:30 am

Taking away the final exam is to take away an objective way of assessing students knowledge levels. A couple of hours of final exam can test out far broader ares of students knowledge than a few projects. The effects remain to be seen. I do believe this is another way of dismantling students STEM skills in the long run. Unfortunately, for STEM learning, strict problem solving skills is paramount. No projects can replace a final exam.

[Reply]

• Projects dominate last week of school

9th graders make their debut on campus

• Projects dominate last week of school

Senior sadness

• Projects dominate last week of school

JWAC simulates poverty to raise funds for microloans

• Projects dominate last week of school

Summer a time to get ahead for some

• Projects dominate last week of school

Induction ceremony for NFHS Wednesday

• Projects dominate last week of school

Pulse try to get an early beat on 2017-18

• Projects dominate last week of school

10 months of work put on display Thursday

• Projects dominate last week of school

FISD hosts Family Science Night

• Projects dominate last week of school

Historically black college fair Wednesday

• Projects dominate last week of school

Making games isn’t child’s play for Strategy Club

Projects dominate last week of school