• The 2024-25 school year begins Aug. 12
  • Wingspan is on summer break until August

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/9 is varsity football player, sophomore Connor Johnson.
Featured Athlete: Connor Johnson
Neta Even, Guest Contributor

Wingspan: What position do you play in football? Johnson:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

Wingspan’s Featured Athlete for 4/18 is tennis player, sophomore Anya Krishna (second from the left).
Featured Athlete: Vivianne Haggard
Ale Gonzalez, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing tennis? Haggard:...

View All
May 17 Daily Update
May 17 Daily Update
Karina Grokhovskaya, WTV Executive Producer • May 17, 2024

WTV's Ryan Shapiro, Karina Grokhovskaya, and Sadie Johnson bring you a few last words

AMSTUD students explore Transcendentalism

Texas+receives+federal+and+state+funds+to+plant+millions+of+trees+in+urban+area.+
Sophia Hung
Texas receives federal and state funds to plant millions of trees in urban area.

The sun glazes off of the calm pond. The breeze drags through each green blade of grass. Cardinal birds softly call to one another. 

This is what American Studies students experience as they sit outside during class time to explore the 19th century ideas of transcendentalism

“Transcendentalism is philosophical and spiritual movements that came about during the Second Industrial Revolution,” American Studies teacher Whitney Schell said. “The idea it is that you really need to connect with nature you need to be introspective that you are a smaller species in the world rather than the sort of  individualistic self-centered version you see coming out of the two Industrial Revolution on factory work cognitive machine rather than being a full part of our earth and nature.”

Teaching spiritual concepts in American history can help students share transcendentalists perspectives.

“Since transcendentalism happened such a long time ago it’s beneficial to know that its effects are present today,” junior Tanvi Desai said. “We get a first hand experience of what David Therou felt when he went on his expedition to live out in the woods for two years and allows us to share that same perspective.”

Not only does sitting outside serve educational purposes but allows students to have a break from their rigorous class time.

“I really like to unwind and I think going outside will help me connect with more of my experience I’ve had and the past, future and present,” junior Riya Rathod said. “Going outside is a physical aspect of connecting with nature so I really like that where we get to go outside and relax.”

Schell hopes that this downtime outside allows students to better reflect on themselves and learn the importance of relaxation.

“I hope students learn that they don’t need to be productive in every moment of their life and that’s actually not very helpful,” Schell said. “Some of the biggest moments of clarity and growth you have for your life as a whole can come from the moment that you sit down and reconnect with nature being able to read a book and being able to sit with their thoughts instead of feeling like they need to cram themselves with being productive.”