Tennis seeks third straight win

After+taking+second+place+in+District+13-5A%2C+the+Redhawks+host+The+Colony+on+Tuesday+in+an+opening+round+playoff+match.+

Davis O'Brien

After taking second place in District 13-5A, the Redhawks host The Colony on Tuesday in an opening round playoff match.

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

The tennis team is going for a its third straight District 13-5A win when it hits the road to take on Centennial Tuesday at 4:00 p.m.

“We had a really big win against Reedy High School (Aug. 22) which going in, is supposed to be a strong team and we pulled out winning 10-9 against them,” tennis coach Erica Dopson said. “That was really exciting. We have a lot of freshman this year coming in to learn about our program so it should be a fun exciting year.”

After losing 15 players to graduation, sophomore Sarvesh Ramachandran is taking over a leadership role.

“I help people fit in like freshman, for example, I go up and talk to them,” Ramachandran said. “I’m usually super quiet before matches to get locked in so I try to teach them to get locked in before matches and not let your mind waver.”

Every match counts this year as there will not be a district tournament. Instead, the regular season will determine the four playoff qualifiers in District 13-5A.

“One of the main goals is to make the playoff,” Dopson said. “If we could land in the top four that’d be awesome so we could make it past district play. So the round robin is what determines that this year, there is no tournament. So the win against Reedy was a big deal.”

With just five more matches in the fall season including Tuesday’s contest against the Titans, players have been incorporating more fitness drills into their practices.

“These kids have stepped up and are being and trying to be more of a leader mentally and trying to set a good example for all the freshman,” Dopson said. “So hopefully by seeing their hard work pay off that these other kids are also working hard.”