Building floats to HOCO

Melody Tavallaee, Staff Reporter

Student Council will be hosting a mini float parade during the homecoming pep rally to get everyone excited about our campus’ culture for the chance to win a $200 prize. The school’s clubs and organizations will be creating floats and parading them across campus in order to fill the building with school spirit.

“There’s a Google form that you fill out and it says who your club is, who your sponsor is and what your float idea is. On the morning of the homecoming pep rally, students will set up their floats along the cafeteria so people can come and view them throughout the day and the judges will judge them,” student council sponsor Julie Anderson said. “When it comes time for the pep rally that day, the students will parade the float into the gym and make a lap around and during the pep rally, we will announce the winner.”

Despite this being the first time our campus takes part in this activity, the act of having a homecoming parade has been an honored tradition for years in many other parts of the nation.

“StuCo decided to do floats because in other parts of the country it’s a whole tradition to make huge floats out of cars, so we decided we would involve all clubs and organizations at the school to make mini ones out of wagons,” student council member Jeffery Nebeker said. “My expectations for the parade is that every club will have the opportunity to walk their float in and have it announced as they do so.”

Student council anticipates the parade as an opportunity for every student to showcase their personal character while coming together as a whole to display school spirit.

“We really wanted a way to get everybody on campus really involved in the experience and give them a way to show off their individual identities because sometimes we think that school spirit can only be expressed in a certain way,” Anderson said. “We wanted to let them know that this is their chance to shine and show how they celebrate school spirit.”

All clubs are encouraged to join the parade and many of them are using the parade as a platform to exhibit their causes and what makes them unique.

“Because we are an art club, we wanted to make a float that would reflected that idea so right now we want to have a piñata and maybe have paint coming out of it,” NAHS officer Katherine Wang said. “We thought this would be both fun and colorful.”

The deadline to submit a float idea is Monday, September 18.