“Little Women” sings to life

Eduardo Borja-Prieto

Orchestra director Julie Blackstock and the pit orchestra accompany the cast of Little Women singing on stage.

Brelyn Bashrum, Guest Contributor

A speed read of the book, but performed on stage, Little Women the Musical, debuts in the auditorium starting Thursday at 7:00 p.m. Featuring a pit orchestra, the play combines dialogue with music and songs in what is an approximate three hour show.

“A lot of work has gone into this production,” sophomore cast member Brooke Bledsoe said. “There are lots of components, like the music, the choreography, and the acting components, but it’s all come together and I think it’s going to be a great production this weekend.”

The performance is about a family of girls who struggle through the ups and downs of the Civil War.

“My favorite part of this has been being able to dive into character more than I ever have before, and being able to understand, technique-wise, how to portray a character,” senior cast member Katy Mark said. “I feel like after all our hard work I can more accurately represent this beautiful story.”

The cast and crew will perform shows Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 7 p.m. and a matinee Sunday at 1 p.m.

“I think everything will go successfully,” freshman crew member Macy Jackson said. “I just hope I don’t mess up and that everyone gets their props on stage on time.”

Tickets for Little Women the Musical are $10-15 with FISD employees getting a free ticket.