Winter holidays already here for Jewish students

Pictured above, the menorah holds nine candles, with eight to represent the days that the Maccabees’ small oil supply burned, and one to light the others with.

Yael Even, Guest Contributor

Winter break begins Monday, and while Christmas tends to dominate the headlines, Jewish students on campus are already celebrating Hanukkah (Dec. 12 -20).

“Hanukkah to me is a holiday where you can come together with family friends or even the community,” senior Daniel Even said. “I think that Hanukkah has been affected by the American traditions. Most American Jews now treat Hanukkah like Christmas.”

Hanukkah celebrates the Maccabees and their successful rebellion against Antiochus IV Epiphanes. According to the Talmud, a late text, the temple was purified and the wicks of the menorah miraculously burned for eight days, even though there was only enough oil for one day.

For some students like sophomore Taylor Wenzel , Hanukkah’s history has been put to the side, and the holiday has become more about gift giving.

“When I was younger my Hanukkah presents were small but still full of meaning,” Wenzel said. “Now I’ve noticed they are larger and more grand like a Christmas present than something small and special.”

Since her family is both Jewish and Christian, Wenzel has experienced both holidays over the year, but still appreciates each separate holiday for what it is.

“For me Hanukkah is a holiday that I celebrate with my family that makes us unique and different, which is why I like it so much,”  Wenzel said. “Over the years, my family has started to celebrate a ‘traditional’ Hanukkah less and less, but we still place an importance on the holiday and what it means.”