Redhawks bounce out of break on a winning note

Facing+off+against+the+Independence+Knights+Tuesday+at+home%2C+both+the+girls+and+boys+teams+came+away+with+wins+in+District+13-5A+play.+

Mady Daddario

Facing off against the Independence Knights Tuesday at home, both the girls’ and boys’ teams came away with wins in District 13-5A play.

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

School resumed from winter break on Wednesday, but the basketball teams got a head start with District 13-5A games at home Tuesday versus Independence.

The girls’ team started the night off on a winning note taking the 52-31 win leaving them in third place behind Lone Star and Reedy.

“I think we did pretty good but we could have done better the first half but we came out with a good win,” junior Kailyn Lay said. “I could have helped lead the team better but at the end I gradually started doing better. I think we got more focused and started picking each other up. We were kind of used to it because we had practice throughout the break and a tournament as well.”

For the boys’ team, Tuesday brought the first district win (1-1) as they took down the Knights 61-49.

“At the end of the day we got the win,” sophomore Micaih Abil said. “We played decently but I feel like we should have won by more. Getting a win is always good because it gives you momentum going into the next game. Heritage is probably going to be a tougher team so getting a win is definitely important in beating them.”