• Gary Burns 5K & Fun Run is Oct. 27 at Toyota Stadium

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Soccer teams kick off 2018 season with Dr. Pink tournament

Featuring+more+than+20+boys%27+and+more+than+20+girls%27+soccer+teams+from+across+the+state%2C+the++Dr.+Pink+Soccer+Invitational+Showcase+runs+Thursday+through+Saturday+with+most+of+the+games+at+the+Toyota+Stadium+soccer+complex.+
Featuring more than 20 boys' and more than 20 girls' soccer teams from across the state, the  Dr. Pink Soccer Invitational Showcase runs Thursday through Saturday with most of the games at the Toyota Stadium soccer complex.

Featuring more than 20 boys' and more than 20 girls' soccer teams from across the state, the Dr. Pink Soccer Invitational Showcase runs Thursday through Saturday with most of the games at the Toyota Stadium soccer complex.

Mady Daddario

Mady Daddario

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

One of the premier tournaments in the area kicks off Thursday in Frisco as the Dr. Pink Soccer Invitational Showcase begins with teams from across Texas taking part in the three day tournament primarily based at Toyota Stadium.

“It is a little bit intimidating not knowing what to expect,” girls’ head soccer coach Elizabeth Mokler said. “I think that’s what separates the good teams from the great teams, being prepared to handle whatever comes our way.”

The girls’ will have their first game against EP Del Valle at 5:00 p.m. Thursday with the tournament being the first game for Mokler leading the Redhawks. It will also be the first varsity game for freshman Avery Jennings.

“I’m very nervous especially going in as my freshman year,” Jennings said. “I never really know what to expect. We don’t know as much about the teams as we do as district but it should be a good challenge for us. I’m pretty excited about it. With it being our first game, we’ve been going over different kinds of warm ups and starting lineups and spots defensively and offensively.”

The boys’ will start the tournament at 7:00 p.m. Thursday with a chance to gauge their competition from throughout the state.

“I think it’d be a really good way for us to see what the competition is outside of our district,” senior Barrett Wright said. “It’s a lot of fun especially for the teams in Texas because we can see the teams that we can potentially play later on in the tournament or in playoffs. Previous scrimmages we’ve been playing teams similar to ones we’re playing in the tournament. We know that if we play our best we are going to beat anybody.”

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether that be restaurants, boutiques, or scenery down a dirt road. Road trips are one of her favorite things to do and she will hardly ever say no to an adventure. Kasey is excited to see what this school year brings for her and is looking forward to another year of Wingspan.

Contact Kasey: [email protected] 

Mady Daddario, WTV Sports Producer
Mady Daddario is a senior and the sports producer for Wingspan. She is an OG Wingspaner and has been in the program since it started. She enjoys being in front of the camera and plans on majoring in broadcast journalism at Oklahoma University next year (boomer!) In her free time she enjoys getting gains at...