Semester shift could lessen stress

The+2018-19+calendar+has+the+first+semester+finishing+before+winter+break+bringing+an+end+to+students+coming+back+from+a+two+week+vacation+to+wrap+up+the+first+semester.+

Perry Mellone

The 2018-19 calendar has the first semester finishing before winter break bringing an end to students coming back from a two week vacation to wrap up the first semester.

Brelyn Bashrum, Guest Contributor

Featuring a week long break for Thanksgiving and two weeks off for winter break, the third six week grading period will have taken nine weeks to complete when the semester ends Friday. However, that will all change next year as Frisco ISD approved the 2018-19 calendar which has the first semester ending before winter break.

“I think that the new schedule will be good, because we will start the next semester in the new year instead of two weeks after the new year like we did this year, which was weird,” junior Lindsey Mabrey said. “I also like it because it means I’ll be graduating in May instead of June.”

This year with the semester ending after the two week winter break, many students returned to deadlines and tests which can be a struggle for some.

“I feel like most people go to Christmas break and come back and they’ve forgotten half of the stuff you’re learning,” junior Caitlin Montgomery said. “We come back and just have to take a bunch of benchmarks.”

Next year’s change of the first semester ending before break will make things a bit more relaxing for junior Claire Oh.

“I feel like most kids won’t stress about ending the semester after break, so it can be more relaxing,” Oh said. “As we come back, we will feel better about starting the new semester and learning new units.”