Say it Louder: Lack of knowledge

Whether+its+something+about+school%2C+being+a+student%2C+or+a+social+issue%2C+columnist+Emma+Cramption+tries+to+make+sure+her+message+is+heard+in+her+weekly+column+Say+it+Louder.+

Whether it’s something about school, being a student, or a social issue, columnist Emma Cramption tries to make sure her message is heard in her weekly column “Say it Louder”.

There are many things that students feel extremely unprepared for in order to get the college process started. The school provides a pretty good amount of information and discussing parts  of the process when counselors do class visits, but it would be extremely beneficial if they started to go into more detail for juniors and seniors specifically.

Over the holidays, I saw a lot of my relatives. Naturally, they started asking me all about school and college. One of the questions that caught me by surprise was: “How many schools have you applied to?”

My mind began to panic. Was I supposed to already have applied? Is it too late now? It made me realize that I haven’t really received a lot of information about this type of stuff from the school or maybe I had simply missed it.

The college application process can be confusing and meeting with one’s counselor to cover this information is a good start but addressing graduating classes as a whole would be easier than meeting with each individual.

Most of the knowledge students such as myself receive about this type of stuff comes from friends. For instance, my older friends had to tell me how to register for the SAT/ACT and what classes to take according to what major I’m interested in. I know school staff is busy, but one big discussion with the junior and senior class that covers all this information would help some students get on track.