• Summer vacation June 4-August 15

• First day of school is Thursday, August 16

Baseball breaks records with donations

Riley Franzke

Riley Franzke, WTV Staff Reporter

In their mission to participate in the Keeper of the Game Food Drive, the baseball team made Frisco history by donating a record breaking amount of food for Frisco families in need over the holidays.

“Brian Hockner who is the director of Keeper Of The Games in this area does a food drive for Frisco Family Services every year, and as a district we get together and compete against the other Frisco ISD baseball teams to see who can bring the most donated items,” head baseball coach Scott McGarrh said. “I think people don’t think there are hungry people here in Frisco and it’s to raise food right before Thanksgiving and Christmas to feed those people who need it and the goal was to win.”

For assistant coach Kenneth Schiumo, who received the team’s winning trophy, this feat shows what Liberty can do.

“It definitely makes me proud to represent the Redhawks for such an invaluable cause as a donation to the Frisco Family Services,” Schiumo said. “The total number of pounds that we actually donated was 2,970 pounds, so that was a big number it was the largest ever for the Keeper of the Games Foundation. I was also honored to be there and actually receive the trophy and represent the Redhawk baseball team and I’m very happy that our boys had such a great show out and took a lot of pride in showing what we are all about here at Liberty High School.”

Equally appreciative of the baseball team’s efforts, executive director of Keeper of the Game, Bryan Hoctor, sees a deep impact in Frisco because of the massive donation.

“The Liberty donation was fantastic this year, the donation itself was probably larger than anything we got the first two years that we did the program itself,” Hoctor said. “It was truly impressive how the team got together and did such a great job collecting. The second year we did the program the, director of Frisco Family Services, he told us how important it is to collect at that time of the year because Thanksgiving week when no school is in there’s a lot of kids that get two meals a day from school that weren’t getting that and the donations at that time really help with Frisco Family Services being able to provide that, make up that gap and provide that food.”

The baseball team donated a total of 2,970 pounds of food, which again was the highest amount of food ever collected in the three years of starting the food drive.

Reporting for WTV, I’m Riley Franzke.