Girls’ golf improves on day two, finishes state in 7th

Making+state+is+nothing+out+of+the+ordinary+for+the+girls+golf+team+as+they+have+qualified+four+years+in+a+row.+Flanked+by+assistant+coach+Adam+Davidson+and+head+coach+Shannon+Glidwell%2C+the+2018+girls+golf+team+of+senior+Madison+McGarrh%3B+sophomore+Sona+Shah%3B+freshman+Raeleigh+Davidson%3B+senior+Sarah+Buss%3B+freshman+Maya+Jain%3B+and+senior+Rakhi+Shah%0Aplaced+7th+in+the+5A+UIL+State+Tournament.+

provided by Shannon Glidwell

Making state is nothing out of the ordinary for the girls’ golf team as they have qualified four years in a row. Flanked by assistant coach Adam Davidson and head coach Shannon Glidwell, the 2018 girls’ golf team of senior Madison McGarrh; sophomore Sona Shah; freshman Raeleigh Davidson; senior Sarah Buss; freshman Maya Jain; and senior Rakhi Shah placed 7th in the 5A UIL State Tournament.

After two rounds of golf in the 5A UIL State Tournament on Monday and Tuesday in Georgetown, the girls’ team completed its season with a seventh place finish.

Falling short of their expectation of a top three placing, senior Rakhi Shah said the team did its best.

“We had a rough first day but the second day was a lot better,” Shah said via text. “It was a new course and there were a lot of good players so we were just trying to do our best. I was sad to be done but excited for what is next.”

Scoring a 676, the team was able to move up one place after finishing Monday’s opening round.

“We were expecting to be somewhere in the top four after round one, but the field is obviously very talented, and with our struggles on day one we began the second day in eighth place,” head golf coach Shannon Glidwell said via email. “We were able to rally on day two and finish in seventh place.”