• No school Monday for MLK Jr. Day

• Frisco ISD Choir Festival at Stonebriar Community Church Saturday from 3-5 p.m.

Review: Zero Degrees

Review: Zero Degrees

Receiving some social media love over the summer for its Mangonada,  a mango slush with chamoy, tajin, and fresh mango chunks, Zero Degrees on Preston Road is hit or miss. Its signature drink falls a bit flat, but it's Cookie Monster shake hits the spot.

Receiving some social media love over the summer for its Mangonada, a mango slush with chamoy, tajin, and fresh mango chunks, Zero Degrees on Preston Road is hit or miss. Its signature drink falls a bit flat, but it's Cookie Monster shake hits the spot.

Brian Higgins

Brian Higgins

Brian Higgins

Prachurjya Shreya, Managing Editor

Sometimes a place lives up to the social media hype, and sometimes it doesn’t. Zero Degrees, located on a small corner near Stonebriar Centre, received lots of social media love over the summer, so I went to see what all the hype is about.

The small size of the restaurant is somewhat shocking. The decor is simple and there are a few tables and chairs around the restaurant. The menu is displayed above cashier and the prices typically vary from $3 to $6 for the drinks. Along with drinks, the restaurant offers food, drinks, and sundaes. Based on the social media hype, a packed restaurant was expected but on this day, the place was not very busy.

I ordered their famous “mangonada”, which is a mango slush with chamoy, tajin, and fresh mango chunks. The drink costs $4.75 for a 16 ounce and $5.75 for the 24 ounce version. The prices were pretty high and not worth it for a drink.

The mangoes were not ripe and super hard to eat, and the drink was more on the spicy side than the sweet side. Now, the spicy taste may appeal to some people, but the flavor was hard to get down. I could barely drink the slush and had to throw more than half of it away.

Another drink tried was the Cookie Monster shake, which had the same prices as the mangonada. The cookie monster is an Oreo shake topped with whipped cream and chocolate sauce. Compared to the mangonada, the cookie monster was delicious, flavorful, and easy to finish.

The most popular drink at this restaurant does not live up to the hype, but other drinks, such as the Cookie Monster definitely deliver. Zero Degrees may not live up to the social media hype, but with the right choice, it will hit the spot.

Prachurjya Shreya, Managing Editor

Shreya is a senior and this is her fourth year in wingspan. As a senior, she finds almost everyone annoying and hates when underclassmen accidentally touch...