Closest pizzeria to campus a local favorite

Kasey Harvey

Locally owned Durkin’s Pizza serves up fresh pies daily just down the street from school. Having a variety of options and a club-like feel, Durkin’s Pizza is a hot spot for people around Frisco.

Allison Lynn, Guest Contributor

Sometimes people eat somewhere based on nothing more than proximity. The food may not be the best, but it’s close. However, Durkin’s Pizza, a little more than a mile from campus, is not only nearby, but it’s also some of the best pizza around.

The restaurant features a dark, club-like vibe with decorations inspired by the 80’s but the food is anything but outdated.

Featuring pizzas, salads, and desserts, customers order at the front and then have their choice of seats ranging from booths to tables.

The caesar and greek salads are a great start. The caesar dressing is the highlight of the salad and brings the salad together including the croutons, romaine lettuce, parmesan cheese, and pepper. The greek salad, consisting of red peppers, red onions, feta cheese, tomatoes, black olives, and a tangy red wine vinaigrette, is filling and satisfying.

But pizza is what Durkin’s is all about with many options including  meat, veggie, and barbeque chicken. The meat pizza with pepperoni, hamburger, bacon, and Italian sausage, will make any meat lover happy with a great balance of the various meats.

The veggie pizza is a healthier alternative topped with red onions, green peppers, black olives, and mushrooms, evenly distributed but not so overwhelming that it’s just a vegetable platter as opposed to a pizza.

However, it’s the barbeque chicken pizza that is a personal favorite. Well cooked chicken, combined with a slightly spicy barbeque sauce and the perfect cheese blend leaves you wanting more than just one slice.

To finish the meal off, there are two dessert options, a cinnamon ugly bread and a marshmallow messy bread. The cinnamon ugly bread is filled with cinnamon and icing, is served warm and tastes like a delicious cinnamon roll. But the favorite on the menu is the marshmallow messy bread. Graham crackers, chocolate chips, cinnamon, and of course marshmallows combine to taste just like a s’more and melts in your mouth.

While the food is outstanding, so are the prices. These savory foods are affordable and are definitely worth customer’s money. At Durkin’s, a large pizza is $7.30 and the desserts are only $4.

With a cool, relaxing vibe, Durkin’s is a great place for anyone to enjoy great pizza, at affordable prices in a family friendly atmosphere.