• Winter break Dec. 24 - Jan. 7

• First semester ends Dec. 21

• No school Nov. 19-23 for Thanksgiving break

Filed under News

Frisco ISD voters approve TRE and bond propositions

From+early+voting+to+Election+Day%2C+polling+places+throughout+Denton+County+and+Collin+County+featured+a+steady+stream+of+voters+with+two+issues+on+the+ballot+Frisco+ISD+propositions.+Voters+in+both+counties+approved+both+the+Frisco+ISD+TRE+and+bond+propositions+which+will+provide+funding+for+the+district%2C+one+of+the+fastest+growing+in+Texas.+
From early voting to Election Day, polling places throughout Denton County and Collin County featured a steady stream of voters with two issues on the ballot Frisco ISD propositions. Voters in both counties approved both the Frisco ISD TRE and bond propositions which will provide funding for the district, one of the fastest growing in Texas.

Surya Ravichandran

Surya Ravichandran

Two years after a Tax Ratification Election was rejected by Frisco ISD voters, a new TRE and bond package were approved Tuesday with each proposition receiving at least 58 percent support.

“Frisco ISD has worked closely with parents, community members, employees and students over the past two years to prioritize spending and develop a common vision for the future,” Superintendent Dr. Mike Waldrip said in a Frisco ISD news release. “We don’t take the support and confidence of voters for granted. We will continue to listen to our stakeholders and work together as a community to implement these plans and provide even more opportunities for students.”

After the TRE failed in 2016, the district implemented budget cuts including the postponement of new school openings, which may have had an impact on the approvals of this year’s TRE and bond propositions.

“I think that people who are maybe apathetic or didn’t come out and vote last time then saw that their children were in really large classes and there were programs there were cut so they saw like, yeah, this is probably something to do,” Humanities teacher Beth Evans said. “In the short term it’s definitely an improved class sizes. We’re gonna be able to hire a lot of teachers and there’s also been quite a few programs that have been put on hold that we’ve wanted to offer to our students but we haven’t been sure if we had been able to unless the TRE passed so those programs are definitely coming for our kids.”

The funding provided by the two measures will be used to help pay for the future of the district, with the money being put towards the construction of four new schools, the construction of a fine arts center, and additions to the CTE Center.

“We are especially excited about what the bond and TRE mean for student opportunity and future-ready learning,” Waldrip said in a Frisco ISD news release. “Frisco ISD has long been a destination school district due to our high school model and reputation for academic excellence. This election gives FISD the resources to continue to build on that strong foundation and move the District forward.”

Speak Visually. Create an infographic with Visme

About the Writers
Melody Tavallaee, Managing Editor

Melody Tavallaee is a senior who joined Wingspan during her sophomore year. One of her greatest passions is iced coffee and you can almost always find...

Dea-Mallika Divi, Assignment Editor

Dea is a senior who has been doing journalism since her freshman year. She loves movies, reading and listening to music. Her favorite book series is...