• Winter break Dec. 24 - Jan. 7

• First semester ends Dec. 21

• No school Nov. 19-23 for Thanksgiving break

Girls’ basketball team tips off fall classic

Shooting+a+free+throw%2C+senior+Jamille+Johnson+stands+at+the+line+as+senior+Makenzi+Glover+awaits+the+rebound+under+the+hoop.+The+girls%27+basketball+team+tips+off+play+in+the+Dallas+Mavericks+Fall+Classic+Thursday+at+6+p.m.+against+Denton+High+in+The+Nest.+
Shooting a free throw, senior Jamille Johnson stands at the line as senior Makenzi Glover awaits the rebound under the hoop. The girls' basketball team tips off play in the Dallas Mavericks Fall Classic Thursday at 6 p.m. against Denton High in The Nest.

Mary Formichella

Mary Formichella

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Starting 0-2, the girls’ basketball team goes for its first win against Denton High on Thursday at 6:00 p.m. in The Nest as part of the Dallas Mavericks Fall Classic.

Playing in their first tournament of the year, the team’s preparation has been a little different than normal.

“The week of the tournament, like Monday through Wednesday, we work on common looks that we might see over the course of the tournament by implementing them in practice and watching film,” senior Mara Casey said. “Our coaches thoroughly scout teams that we play or might play, which helps us get mentally prepared for the tournament.”

Even though the team is playing several games over the the course of the tournament from Thursday-Saturday, the approach is the same.

“I would say we approach tournaments a little differently, in that we want to play as many games as possible within the span of two to three days,” senior Makenzi Glover said. “However, we always take it one game at a time just like in our regular season games.”

Playing some of the top 5A and 6A teams in the state of Texas, the competition will prepare the team for district play.

“This tournament will absolutely help us going into district play because there are so many competitive schools we’ll be matching up against,” Glover said. “Although we do have two losses, I wouldn’t say that our confidence is lacking. It’s still super early in the season and we’ve played two really good teams. However, a win would be a great way to start off tournament play and set the tone for our future games ahead.”

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Aaron Boehmer is a sophomore and in his second year of working on the Wingspan staff. He is also in his second year of playing for the school’s soccer...