Filed under A&E, Showcase

Super legend exits the big screen

Largely+credited+with+helping+to+create+many+of+Marvel%E2%80%99s+best-known+characters%2C+Stan+Lee+was+born+as+Stanley+Lieber+in+1922+in+Manhattan.+Becoming+famous+for+his+comics%2C+he+also+wrote+training+manuals+in+the+Army+Signal+Corps+during+World+War+II.+In+1961%2C+Lee+and+Jack+Kirby%0Aproduced+the+first+issue+of+The+Fantastic+Four.+A+year+later%2C+Lee+and+Steve+Ditko+introduced+the+world+to+Spider-Man.+Lee+passed+away+in+Los+Angeles+on+Monday+at+the+age+of+95.+

Super legend exits the big screen

Largely credited with helping to create many of Marvel’s best-known characters, Stan Lee was born as Stanley Lieber in 1922 in Manhattan. Becoming famous for his comics, he also wrote training manuals in the Army Signal Corps during World War II. In 1961, Lee and Jack Kirby
produced the first issue of The Fantastic Four. A year later, Lee and Steve Ditko introduced the world to Spider-Man. Lee passed away in Los Angeles on Monday at the age of 95.

Largely credited with helping to create many of Marvel’s best-known characters, Stan Lee was born as Stanley Lieber in 1922 in Manhattan. Becoming famous for his comics, he also wrote training manuals in the Army Signal Corps during World War II. In 1961, Lee and Jack Kirby produced the first issue of The Fantastic Four. A year later, Lee and Steve Ditko introduced the world to Spider-Man. Lee passed away in Los Angeles on Monday at the age of 95.

Marvel Media Kit

Marvel Media Kit

Marvel Media Kit

At age 95, a man who revolutionized comics and left a lasting legacy on pop culture, died on Monday in Los Angeles. Stan Lee, the chief writer and editor of many Marvel comics, played a key role in the making of the $13 billion dollar company.

For both current and past Redhawks, Lee and Marvel’s movies helped define their high school years.

“He played a major role in Marvel movies because he set the foundation for all the Marvel superhero movies we know and love today,” 2018 graduate Marisa Uddin said via text. “The directors and producers who carry out his vision from the comics pay homage to him by allowing him to cameo in all their movies, something that fans really look forward to, because of how significant his role is.”

Who is your favorite character in which Stan Lee had a hand in creating?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Making his name through his elaborate stories of characters like Spider Man and the Hulk, Lee’s ideas were transformed into major motion pictures that took off when Walt Disney Pictures bought Marvel Entertainment in 2009.

“I grew up watching Marvel and I still watch all the movies today, and it’s so amazing to me that I can experience a whole new world that he created because of all these comics and movies,” Uddin said via text. “Superhero movies are my favorite type of movies because of Stan Lee and the universe he created with his comics.”

Making appearances through his cameos in almost every Marvel based movie since 1989, Lee’s scene was one to look forward to for many viewers.

“It’s horrible,” junior Chase Moore said. “He’s not going to be in any more of the new movies. You’re not going to get to see his funny clip in it. He’s been in all of them. I would hope that it doesn’t necessarily change but I think it is going to be a big part missing without his cameos. It’s always been a big part of my life as far as I used to read the comics all the time. I watched all the movies so it’s pretty big.”

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...