Holiday season comes knocking on classroom doors

NHS+provides+students+the+chance+to+spread+the+holiday+spirit+to+school+by+decorating+teachers+doors.+

NHS provides students the chance to spread the holiday spirit to school by decorating teachers’ doors.

Melody Tavallaee, Managing Editor

During the holiday season, many put up lights outside of their homes to show festivity. However, through the NHS door decorating service project, the holiday spirit is brought indoors and into the campus.

“Door decorating is basically an event that NHS does where teachers request a theme for there doors and we collectively as an organization go in after school and decorate their doors for them,” NHS officer Shruti Bindingnaville said. “It’s just a nice way to bring some holiday spirit for our school and do something nice and special for our teachers, especially since they work so hard.”

The door decorating offers students a chance to spread the holiday spirit while giving back to the teachers on campus.

“It gives the kids a chance to work together kind of get in the holiday spirit and brings joy to the teachers when they walk in and see that their classroom doors are decorated,” NHS sponsor Amber Bennett said. “It’s a nice little surprising when they show up in the morning and see that their doors are decorated.”

Teachers send in requests for their door decorations, giving them a chance to express festivity while incorporating activities that they enjoy.

“I thought it was fun, I mean, spread some holiday cheer,” biology teacher Richard Sabatier said. I sponsor the Table Top Club, where we playing Dungeons and Dragons. So I just wanted like a fantasy Christmas, something cool.”

Along with spreading festivity throughout the school, the door decorating is a service opportunity that allows students to get more involved in the district and on campus.

“It’s great way to get FISD hours,” Bennett said. “It’s one of our Frisco, ISD service opportunities that NHS provides, sometimes we do things for Valentine’s and Teacher Appreciation. So this is really, besides Trunk or Treat, one of our main fall semester service opportunities.”

Bindingnaville believes that the door decorating shines light on the generous and deeper meanings of the holiday season.

“I think it’s nice for students to volunteer for this because the holiday season is all about giving. And giving doesn’t always mean something tangible like money,” Bindingnaville said. “I think the idea of giving effort and giving service is just as important especially since a lot of people enjoy it and appreciate it in our campus.”