District paves the way for future programs

Several+parents+were+outside+Mondays+Board+of+Trustees+meeting%2C+where+back+in+July+there+were+numerous+more+with+many+of+them+protesting+the+districts+decision+to+delay+the+start+of+in-person+school+until+Sept.+3.+

Wade Glover

Several parents were outside Monday’s Board of Trustees meeting, where back in July there were numerous more with many of them protesting the district’s decision to delay the start of in-person school until Sept. 3.

Jordan Klein, WTV Daily Update Producer

The Frisco ISD Board of Trustees met Monday night for their last regularly scheduled meeting of 2018 to discuss a variety of topics including upcoming programs.  

Among the things discussed, the IB program, with program leaders updating the board on the progress of the IB diploma program coming to Frisco High School in upcoming years.

In recent months, the program was able to: train Frisco High School administration, counselors and district staff in preparation for the program, as well as hold their first parent and student information night.

“We get to work with an IB consultant on preparing for the IB authorization which will happen in a couple of years,” managing director of secondary schools Angela Romney said at Monday’s board meeting. “We are in the middle of our admissions and lottery process. This spring, we will have our IB campus coordinator meet with the students who were accepted into the program to revise their four year plans.”

The board was also able to approve of the new CTE cybersecurity course, as well as the new CTE Video Game Programing course.

“We based this on our research that cybersecurity is an upcoming field where there will be a need for people in this area,” chief academic officer Katie Kordel said at Monday’s board meeting. “A new report out from cybersecurity ventures estimates there will be 3.5 million cyber security jobs in 2021. That is up from one million openings just last year. This is a growing field.”

It was also announced that once again, Frisco ISD was included on the AP district honor roll by College Board.

“This is Frisco ISD’s second consecutive year to make the list,” Kordel said via Board Report. “The honor roll consists of school districts in the U.S. and Canada that simultaneously achieved increases in access to Advanced Placement courses for a broader number of students and also maintained or improved the rate at which their AP students earned scores of 3 or higher on an AP Exam.”

To find out more on what was discussed during yesterday’s meeting, visit the Board of Trustees section on the Frisco ISD website.