• No school Monday for MLK Jr. Day

• Frisco ISD Choir Festival at Stonebriar Community Church Saturday from 3-5 p.m.

JV wrestlers get a dose of varsity competition

A+UIL+rule+limiting+the+amount+of+time+a+wrestler+can+compete+is+allowing+JV+wrestlers+to+experience+varsity+competition+on+Thursday+as+the+Redhawks+take+on+Wakeland+and+Lebanon+Trail+at+Frisco+High+School.+

A UIL rule limiting the amount of time a wrestler can compete is allowing JV wrestlers to experience varsity competition on Thursday as the Redhawks take on Wakeland and Lebanon Trail at Frisco High School.

Photo from @RedhawksWrestle used with permission

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Competing in a dual tournament on Thursday causes an issue for the wrestling team as UIL school week limitation rule states athletes can only compete once during the school week, resulting in the junior varsity squad scheduled to take on Wakeland and Lebanon Trail at 5:30 p.m. at Frisco High.

“We are wrestling our junior varsity as varsity, but even so, I’m really excited for them because I think we have a really great chance against Wakeland and Lebanon Trail,” head wrestling coach Cody Bridwell said. “In preparation for the JV competing on the varsity level, it’s just a lot of practice. They drilled with varsity a lot during the Christmas break.”

Among the JV players who are stepping up to the mat is sophomore Prince Ugoh, who believes his work ethic will shine during the duals.

“I’m feeling confident; I have worked hard in practice and I have the technique I need in order to win,” Ugoh said. “I have worked out extra and focused a lot on my stamina through aerobic exercises and increasing my muscular endurance.”

Bridwell sees competition against the Wolves and Trail Blazers as a chance for the athletes to grow.

“I believe they’re stepping up and this will be their first opportunity at a varsity match,” Bridwell. “There will be a lot of experience gained to prepare them for the JV district tournament.”