Chick-fil-A seeks out ‘remarkable’ workers

Two+managers+from+Chick-fil-A+pose+in+front+of+their+table+in+the+cafeteria.+They+hope+that+they+can+recruit+new+employees.+%E2%80%9CIt%27s+really%2C+really+important+to+start+work+ethic+very%2C+very+young%2C+you+have+to+work+to+earn+bread+and+a+house+and+all+of+those+things+and+so+you+might+as+well+love+what+you+do%2C%E2%80%9D+manager+Kasey+Sjoerdsma+said.+

Two managers from Chick-fil-A pose in front of their table in the cafeteria. They hope that they can recruit new employees. “It's really, really important to start work ethic very, very young, you have to work to earn bread and a house and all of those things and so you might as well love what you do,” manager Kasey Sjoerdsma said.

Dea-Mallika Divi

Dea-Mallika Divi

Dea-Mallika Divi

Prachurjya Shreya, Managing Editor

The cafeteria frequently has college recruiters, but on Monday, there were two managers from Chick-fil-A providing students with information about possible job opportunities.

“This afternoon we’re specifically looking for some students that either have an early release or late start that can come in a little early,” Chick-fil-A manager Kasey Sjoerdsma said. “We have a couple of shifts in premium spots that would be really helpful to fill our schedule, but we’re also looking for students who just are willing to work. Our slogan is ‘be remarkable’ and we just want some remarkable kids come and hang out with us and get some free food and make some money and it’ll be great.”

One student that knows first hand what it’s like to work at Chick-fil-a is junior Megan Mills.

“It’s so much fun working at Chick-fil-a and you get to meet new people and see friends since it’s so close to the school,” she said. “Overall it’s just a fun, nice environment.”

Encouraging students to work at this age, Sjoerdsma thinks it helps develop a strong work ethic for future jobs.

“It’s really, really important to start work ethic very, very young, you have to work to earn bread and a house and all of those things and so you might as well love what you do,” Sjoerdsma said. “We have a really fun environment and so easing into the workforce with an organization like Chick-fil-A is really helpful.”

Mills understands the importance of working as a high schooler.

“I think it’s important for people our age to work because we learn how to save up money for college and our future,” Mills said. “It also teaches us key skills like leadership that you can use in other jobs in the future.”

Prachurjya Shreya, Managing Editor

Shreya is a senior and this is her fourth year in wingspan. As a senior, she finds almost everyone annoying and hates when underclassmen accidentally touch...