Local therapist leads open forum with SAGA

Speaking+to+members+of+the+SAGA+club+Wednesday+after+school%2C+local+therapist+Kelbi+Calloway+talked+about+LGBTQ+resources%2C+mental+health%2C+and+her+experiences.%0A%0ACalloway+was+asked+to+come+speak+to+the+group+by+SAGA+club+sponsor%2C+history+teacher+Emily+Griffin.+

Maddie Aronson

Speaking to members of the SAGA club Wednesday after school, local therapist Kelbi Calloway talked about LGBTQ resources, mental health, and her experiences. Calloway was asked to come speak to the group by SAGA club sponsor, history teacher Emily Griffin.

Local therapist Kelbi Calloway visited the Sexuality and Gender Acceptance club Wednesday after school, in hopes of providing a new resource to students at school.

I have a strong passion for the LGBTQ population due to being a member myself and knowing how important resources and support can be, especially as a young adult,

— Therapist Kelbi Calloway

My presentation was mainly focused on LGBTQ resources, mental health, and experiences,” Calloway said. “I have a strong passion for the LGBTQ population due to being a member myself and knowing how important resources and support can be, especially as a young adult. I opened the floor to answer questions from students as well as offering some of my experiences as a queer individual and a therapist. I hope to offer guidance, resources and hope.”

The LGBTQ is a subject near to Calloways heart, and she is hoping to have provided clarity for the students at the meeting.

“My hope is that students will be able to gain peace of mind through having their questioned answer or discussed,” Calloway said. “I also provided as many resources as I can to attend to needs that aren’t being met or areas that need more support.”

Straight ally Emma Varela attended the meeting, hoping to broaden her perspective about the LGBTQ community.

“I know a lot of people in the LGBTQ community but hearing it out loud really put it into focus for me,” Varela said. “It really made me see how people experience that. I felt bad, but it and it really helped me learn so I could help my friends through it.”

This has definitely brought the club members closer because we got to talk about something we all have in common,

— SAGA club member Paige Edmisten

Having questions answered that may not be easy to ask is something club member Paige Edmisten appreciates.

“I’ve never been a part of like a group therapy session before, but after this, I learned that sometimes it’s really helpful to get advice from a professional,” Edminsten said. “It felt really good to get questions that we’ve had for awhile answered from someone who knows what they’re talking about.”

Beyond the open forum provided by Wednesday’s meeting, it also built a sense of family for LGBTQ+ students on campus.

“I think it’s important to talk like this as a whole group because it helps us understand each other more and our struggles more. It is also good to open it up every now and then about thing you don’t usually talk about in conversation,” Edminsten said. “This has definitely brought the club members closer because we got to talk about something we all have in common and now I feel like we all understand each other a little more.”