Vaping the topic of Thursday’s Coffee with the Counselors

Meeting to discuss the “Dangers Facing our Teens”, parents and counsel will be having Coffee with the Counselors from 8:00 a.m. to 8:50 a.m. in the auditorium Wednesday. During this event, the topic of vaping amongst students in grades 8-12.

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

The “Dangers Facing our Teens” is the topic of February’s Coffee with the Counselors session from 8:00 a.m. to 8:50 a.m. in the auditorium Wednesday with vaping scheduled to be discussed.

“I don’t think students realize how big of a deal it is; even if it’s non-nicotine, they don’t think they’re doing anything wrong, they don’t realize the implications of it,” assistant principal Stacy Whaling said in a Wingspan special story. “The fact that even if there was something wrong with it, it’s still illegal for them to have it, because you can’t be under 18. We always confiscate the devices.”

Open to students in grades 8-12 and their parents, the counselors will talk about the impact of vaping on teens.

“The most common effects of vaping for athletes include: Headaches, rapid heart rate, early, ratigue, changes in appetite, irritation of lungs, shortness of breath. I think that the program should be used at other schools,” sports medicine pediatrician Troy Smurawa said via email. “It helps to clarify the facts in regards to health concerns and effects on athletic performance from professionals.”

Attendees are asked to park in the southeast band parking lot.