A peek into Dual Credit

Students+and+parents+can+get+information+on+Collin+College+dual+credit+classes+at+an+information+meeting+Tuesday+from+6-7+p.m.+in+the+auditorium.+During+this+informational+meeting%2C+parents+and+students+will+receive+more+insight+as+to+how+college+credit+is+received.+

A peek into Dual Credit

Students and parents can get information on Collin College dual credit classes at an information meeting Tuesday from 6-7 p.m. in the auditorium. During this informational meeting, parents and students will receive more insight as to how college credit is received.

Kasey Harvey

Kasey Harvey

Kasey Harvey

Melody Tavallaee, Managing Editor

Collin College is hosting a Dual Credit Information Night in the auditorium Tuesday from 6 to 7 p.m. to provide parents and students information on how students can earn college credit while still in high school through the program.

“For some students, it’s more weight than an on-level class,” counselor Ryan Kiefer said in a previous interview with Wingspan. “It’s an actual college class, so it starts building your permanent college transcript, so you can earn college credit towards your eventual bachelor degree.”

Dual credit courses give students a look into college and offer many similar perks to Advanced Placement classes, but with less of a workload.

“If you don’t want to have a huge workload or do a lot of projects, I would recommend taking dual credit,” senior Michael Yang said. “Taking dual credit gives you the same college experience, except the workload, I’d say, is slightly less than AP and there is less pressure because dual credit doesn’t have an end of course exam which is generally much more comprehensive.”

Taking dual credit can allow students to maximize their time and be more productive outside of school.

“I decided to take zero hour dual credit because I will also be doing early release and I can get out of school at 12:10 without it looking bad for college,” junior Dorothy Collier said. “Therefore I can workout, work and do homework earlier so I will have time to do more with my time instead of just being a student. Next year I know that I will be able to be productive and go to school.”

While the benefits of dual credit are numerous, not all schools accept credit earned through the program.

“Depending on the dual credit course, we do offer some dual credit courses through the CTE center,” Kiefer said in a previous interview with Wingspan. “Those may or may not transfer, so you just wanna be mindful of wherever you plan to go for your bachelor degree, that the school you are going to attend will accept those credits.”

Melody Tavallaee, Managing Editor

Melody Tavallaee is a senior who joined Wingspan during her sophomore year. One of her greatest passions is iced coffee and you can almost always find...